Help me pick out some gear

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nighteater537, May 24, 2006.

1. Nighteater537 macrumors member

ok, i need to find the following for a decent price.
    First of i need a bluetooth head set (one that has two head sets (not like a cellphones)
    Secondly i need a wireless bnetworking card that has a kick ass range that is also compatible with kism ac packet injection
    Thirdly i need a hard drive encloure that supports a 250 gb hard drive, firewire/usb and is 100% mac compatible

i am also in search of a certain tv......it is really old, carl (from aquateen hungerforce ) has one and it is pimping the screen is like a parabola faceing downard and there are 3 lights (red, yellow, blue) and they give it color, it is pimping!

2. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

bump?

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I'll help you bump this.

Is this a need or a want? Bluetooth headset a need, really? I am really taken by BlueTake headsets. iPhono comes in black and white. You might want to search a gadget blog like Gizmodo.

Any enclosure with the Oxford 970 or better chipset should work in any enclosure you find. Search the forums for hd enclosure, and the like. Mac Ally offers some.

As for the card that will work with Kismac... this is suspect. You need two cards to do smart packet injecting and use many of Kismac's features. If your an engineering student or just curious I bet you will find one on your own. The drivers are listed with in Kismac, so follow the trail back to the card. If your just planning to be irritating, then shove off. Too many people saw Hackers and were inspired to be wantabe script kiddies- want to be, not even learning to code their own apps. Heck, write your own code that doesn’t require a second card.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Sorry for the curt response. Wireless abuse, cracking and the like are a sore subject to me. People are way to paranoid, and there are a lot of buttheads abusing what was once good unobtrusive fun. Some of this text is recycled from a previous post.

I would head over to sites dedicated to WiFi, like Airshare.org (a great place to start) to learn about war driving/walking/bikeing(which you know about) and packet cracking, injecting etc...

There are only two modes to use a transceiverin , active or passive mode. Suggesting that you want to use a second card with "kick ass range" in active mode with Kismac (a tool I highly recommend) is suspicious to most.

I use a number of wi-fi tools, and Kismac is one of my favorites. There are few legitimate uses for having a second wifi system set up in passive or active mode. One is Bandwidth or Link Aggregation as noted in this Mac Rumors thread[/URL]. Bandwidth aggregation is a better term.

Just think about what your doing and think about the consequences of what your actions might be to others.

Preaching done. I would look at Hawking technologies, as well as devices that use Lucent designed chipsets/cards. I don't know if there is an injection driver for the Hawking tecs device yet, but if your looking to prove that your more than a tinie script kitty, write your own. If your really into this, do your own research. I know the info is on the Internet.

Hawkingtech offers a nice little portable external wifi router (HWL2A) (with high-gain antenna) that will double as a wifi locator (looks a little like a StarTrek tricorder).

For non invasive passive scanning, I would look to iStumbler or MacStumbler. As far as I know they can't save or scour individual packet dumps, unlike Kismac. iStumbler has a widget interface now (cool) and I think iStumbler has better resolution. Technicly, if your running a second 802.11.x transciever, you should use these tools, as it is easyer to remain more ethical.

Please don't be an ars with the tools or information you gain. I preach that people should provide free access to their Internet when they can, so violating others trust by cracking their security and/or hacking their computer is just stupid. It violates the Social Contract, as well as a number of laws.

Beside, if you get caught by somebody else who knows how to use the tools better than you... well I hope it happens to any malicious ars (Which I guess you are not). At worst, somebody traces back your signal and uses a directional antenna with a transmitter with a wicked amount of power to fry your wifi system, or computer. (Indused EM harmonics can cause so much damage.- But I digress.)

Have fun! Getting caught by the numbers police or the FCC really sucks!!!!!!, but getting caught by somebody that previously trusted you is even worse.

Head these last words.

What are you up to?

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

[EDIT] After reading some of the threads you started, like this one, you already have the wireless answers your looking for. What's best? Test it yourself if you arn't willing to read around. There are reviews of all of the cards and chipsets noted by Kismac on the internet. I bet they're pretty equal. I also get the feeling your pretty young; this is not an insult- just a guess. You do understand how the questions about wireless cards would be viewed as suspect. Have fun. Perhaps is you stated why you needed to do packet injecting people might chime in better.
    This is also not a site dedicated to wireless issues. Start at Airshare and move outward.

I may be completely off on my thoughts, so I apologize for being touchy.

6. Johnny Rotten macrumors newbie

This Card Is Pci And Works With Kismet And InJection

For Quite Some Time Id Been Lookin for a Wireless Card That I COuld Use under Linux Or Windows That was Capable Of Injecting and monitorin without any Hassle I Got A Few Off Ebay and after alot of dissapointment i found one that actauolly worked straight out of hte box and Atheros Based Pci here it is
    http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?...yboy2212&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0