Help me pick two business names...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Dec 18, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Hokay, here's the dealio.

Rob and I are desperately trying to get into a new condo development that just broke ground here in Annapolis, and they should be ready by spring 2007.

With that said, I am going to have to develop two additional business for 2006 to help buy our first place - we rent now. I already do photography under www.garyianreich.com, and I do all my other stuff under www.igarycommunications.com.

Now, I want to expand. After talking to Cooknn (thanks, bud) I am going to start doing QTVR tours for realtors and home sellers. http://www.listing360.com/

I need a catchy name for this (and I live about 1200 miles from Cooknn, so no competition issues, here. ;)

I am also going to start covering local sailing races (regattas) and want to put the images of each race up on the Web, avilable to buy, identified by the boats sail number. Kind of like http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html.

So a little contest, if you will. (And mods, if I am overstepping bounds here, please just say so).

I need a name for my virtual realty tours company/Web site (can't be taken already - use www.register.com to find out).

I also need a name for my sailboat racing photo Web site. Same as above, can't be taken.

If I choose one, (sorry, i'm a broke bastich) I'll give the winner two 16" X 20" mated framed prints from my collection (I usually sell these for $80.00 a piece in local shops). I will put up a gallery later this week of the prints you can select from, but for now you can see the kind of work I do at www.garyianreich.com.

I'm really struggling for names, so any help would be appreciated. :)

Catchy, original, and the Web domain cannot be taken.

Thanks.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Assume you're doing the pics in the local neighbourhood?

Why not just annapolishomes360.com (it's available) and describes what you're doing? It should also get picked up by the search engines since it's got the locality, market and the 360 in it.

The regatta one is tougher since the most obvious ones are taken.
    regattasailphotos and regattaracephotos are both there but are tough to read strung together. Hyphens are generally to be avoided; people forget to type them in.

Good luck with the businesses regardless! ;p

3. Golden_315 macrumors member

Well what are you doing when coveing the regattas? Just pictures? Or are you doing a small article or piece of writing? In the case of the latter you could go
    www.regattagazette.com. If the former is true, ...well I'll need time ot think on that.

As for the VR tours a little clarification is required. Are you going to be commissioned by realtors to go to a home and take pictures in order to create a VR tour? And you are in want of a site to advertise and show off your works? If this is the case I might recommend hmm...i'll think on this too.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, all local. I haven't seen any well-marketed or advertised people who do this around here, and it is a huge market.

annapolis360 is open - I am also thinking of doing panoramas for marinas, museums, restaurants etc, too.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Take a look at Cooknn's site above on the realty question.

The sailing one - basically I have a 23-foot Boston Whaler at my disposal and I will go out on the race course and shoot pictures of boats participating in the race - people can go online, look up their sail number and see their images and have my fulfillment joint print and mail them to them.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you're taking it wider than homes, then that sounds ideal. Go for it!

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Gary,

I think you should pick one good domain/business name and use it for all your small businesses. I think it's easier to manage one main business with many sub-businesses than a bunch of separate ones. You have one business card, one flyer to advertise all your work, one brochure, etc.

Someone may want a 360 tour and then see your photography services and say "Hey, why not get some photographs too" or something. You never know.

Anyway...just an idea!

Good luck with your new businesses! I always thought Cooknn's service and site was AWESOME. I looked into doing QTVR a few times just for fun, but I don't have the right equipment I don't think.

Ryan

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I guess the "360" moniker is in right now, you know with the xbox and everything.
    Since you're doing more than just QTVR, what about annapolisphoto.com. This also fits with the all inclusive business idea. People will come to your site looking for QTVR tours and see you also offer marina shots and vice versa.

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Dave...your 'tar...it's...scary. :eek:

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

will you run in to trademark trouble with nick wood?

he does a series of books called "____"360- photos of cities in 360degrees.

all very neat.

just not sure what the rules are with that kind of stuff...

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Surely you've watched the hit show Tiki Bar TV. I've decided to cycle through the cast.:D

Gary, I think this is a great opportunity to take a stand and become the Annapolis authority on photography. If I were you, I would snatch up annapolisphotography.com

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well the problem with that is, I already have business cards, car magnets, Web site, paid for the branding and logo for Gary Ian Reich Photography...I'd really have to think on it. I like it a LOT. Problem is I can't afford to pay a designer for a new logo etc....

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

So..if you already have cards etc., then you want a domain that has your name already in it?
    Regards to the logo stuff. You're lucky to be a great member of the MR community that is loaded with talented PS logo artists. And whoever said a logo had to be anything other than your signature?

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

How about simple- (edit- I googled these and see these are gone as far as web sites go-don't know about trademarks though. Maybe some way to change them enough to be different?)

VR VirtualRealtor

or VirtualRealty

The logo could have a larger VR somehow with the words across it. Maybe some cool animation to bring the logo onto the screen with a QTVR type movie looking through what seems to be one house but is actually multiple houses morphed together and ends up looking at what looks like a blank wall with the logo "VR VirtualRealty", or the like, looking like it is in a picture frame hanging on that wall. Then your samples or actual houses come up on the screen to view, etc.

15. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

iGary... that VR stuff is pretty cool now that I've looked around at listing360.com. Seems you can make quite a bit of money in that field too...especially with something like real estate. Just curious, what type of equipment do you use and is it time consuming as far as finding clients?

16. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been practicing QTVR for a few weeks now. You need a digicam (duh?) with a 1/4 female thread on the bottom, a pano-mount, and tripod. This setup will give you the best results with the least distortion. You will also need VR photo stitching software.

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know if you are going to cover Annapolis racing or racing around the area, but as of now www.marylandregatta.com is available.

As for the tours, would you consider going with a bit of local kitch and using www.annapoliscircle.com? I was just thinking that if you can work the two circles into the name, it might have more enduring value than the (as already noted) currently hip 360.

Edit: www.annapolisregatta.com is also open. This think the race sites translate well into business names (if you pluralize regatta, those sites are also open). For the QTVR, I don't know how well it would translate, but I guess the business would rely more on the site than a DBA.

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why not think a little larger scale?

http://www.mdpanorama.com
    http://www.panoramarama.biz

One tip I might suggest is to keep 'alternative spellings' to a minimum. Since some (or more) of the business ends up being via word of mouth, 'alternative spellings' can complicate things and lead to lost business.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've actually named 3 businesses started up by friends and former roommates.

So here's my stab at it:
    A couple of ideas for the QTVR business:
    Under the name “V Tour Photography” (vtourphotography.com or v-tourphotography.com)

Under the Name “360 Home Showcase” <- I think this one has more 'professional appeal' (360homeshowcase.com)

For the Regatta business
    Under the name “Full Sail Photography” (fullsailphotos.com)

or (using a nautical term) Full and by -A sailing ship with all sails set and full sailing close to the wind
    Under the name “Full and By Photography” fullandbyphotos.com

Or if you want to draw a ‘less serious’ crowd
    Using the name “3 Sheets to the Wind” <-maybe add 'Nautical Photography' to the end (3sheetsphotography.com or 3sheetsphotos.com)
    :)

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

All nice - yours, too yellow.

Have a nice list going now - thanks, folks. :D

22. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I still think both should be under the same domain.:)
    [​IMG]
    ^^I thought I would bring in reinforcements.

23. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I like house360.com: It has a nice ring to it :D

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm more curious as to whether he killed his neighbors or not. LOL! ;)

An update would be cool.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]