Help me plan a vacation...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Jan 13, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Alrighty, so right now I feel like I'm kind of in a rut and I think what I need would be a nice, long vacation. I haven't been on a real vacation (a trip far from home just for the sake of the trip, and not tacked onto some other event) since I was 7...18 years ago...so it's about time.

I'd love to do something active out in Colorado or Utah somewhere. Ideally, I would like to spend 4-5 of those days white water rafting. I've been on a half-day trip (in Wyoming) before, and it was one of the funnest things I've ever done. Does anyone have any experiences with certain rafting companies out there? Where can I find ratings or reviews on these kind of places? Which rivers are best? Etc...

I also thought about coupling that with a couple days of mountain biking. Perhaps some hiking? What other outdoorsy, active stuff could I throw together? I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I realize I'll be spending a bunch of money anyways.

Help me with some ideas!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

White water rafting? I don't think you'd be bored by Day 4. Try 2 days of rafting if you're so keen, but mix it up a bit. Yeah, try hiking for one day, mountain biking for one day, or try an extreme sport of some sort. Hell, even try "caverning" or skydive those are options. Just make sure to do it from at least 12000 ft, and don't do it from 9000 ft (not worth it).\

And about going far away from home, tell us where you live first so we can help you better. :confused:

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thanks for replying, Abstract. I'm sorry I didn't give enough information. I'm from St. Louis, MO, so I'd like to get out of state (if not further), and I definitely want to do something active during this trip.

I really like the idea of an extended journey, with regards to the white water rafting. I don't think that I'd be bored by day 4, although I could see how some people would be. Has anyone been on these extended trips? Tell me about them if you could, and what place you went with.

Maybe a 3 day/2 night float is a "sweet spot" where I'd still get to do some other things...

I've always wanted to skydive, but, for some reason, that didn't really dawn on me for the trip. I'll look into adding it in, though, as I would LOVE to do it. Thank you for the note on the altitude, as I wouldn't have even thought to ask.