Help Me Plan My Life (Math Project)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amateurmacfreak, May 4, 2006.

1. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

So, it's pre-Algebra... haha, not the hardest, but I'm not writing for math help, but for advice...
    The project is to help us apply math to the "real world", so we're supposed to plan our life after college (4 year-degree) in the real world. The project starts out with us having no debt, no money and we have to find a job we want to do, find a place to rent online, and otherwise calculate living expenses.
    I'm mostly wondering.... what jobs should I look at that I can do with a four year degree that are well-paying? Also, should I take out a loan and go part time to graduate school and then work on the side?
    I'm thinking something in science, engineering, or computers.... what do you guys suggest I chose, from life experience, for the project??

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

No debt coming out of college and your teacher wants you to pretend it's the "real world"? Your math teacher must have been a trust fund kid.

3. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha, we're assuming that our "parents' gift to us was college."
    I mean... gosh, ergh.... anyone have an suggestions for jobs? I'm thinking maybe a lab tech would be good? Or something in engineering that only requires a bachelor's degree??

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

what does this have to do with Math? Basic money stills have little to be with

Pre-Alg:rolleyes:

Be come a Mac Tech, live in CL

5. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha, she's just... I don't know, it's the end of the year, can't we be irrelevant for a few class periods? :p :eek:
    We have a test on multiplying binomials tomorrow... so it's not all just basic money math skills. :p (yeah, it's really easy, okay, I get it :eek:, but... we're doing some pre-algish stuff, haha)

CL = CA?? I'm assuming that's what you meant....

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya, i more sleepy then i think! Darn Lax:rolleyes:

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Apply Friedmans "Permanent Income" Hypothesis to your analysis.

You'll be earning less as your needs are greatest (getting yourself set up in life), and more as you get older, and your needs tail off,

According to this hypothesis it's perfectly acceptable to get into debt :eek: early in life as you will be able to pay it off in later years.

There's surely loads of maths in that somewhere. Think of the assumptions you can make!

8. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

If you can pick whatever job you want, do something crazy. Be an exotic dancer or a stunt man or just pretend you live here in Utah and get involved with one of those Multi-Level Marketing scams (AKA pyramid schemes) that seem so prevelant in Utah County.

If worse comes to worse, just say you are a manager at an Apple Store.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I would totally write about working for Apple, and since you appear to love Apple, it would seem like the perfect idea.

11. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah, I've been really thinking about that.
    The thing is, I need to find out what the salary would be like, and what jobs would be realisitic for me to expect to be able to get (assuming I had done very well in college even, haha, it's stretchable :p) at Apple with a four-year degree.
    So, manager of Apple Store maybe?
    Maybe a very low level engineer of something?
    Any ideas or salary guidelines? :confused:
    Maybe I'm a bad googler, but I couldn't find anything on the salaries except for Steve Job's $1 a year. :eek: :p

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Edu 4 U

Get no degree, then got get a job in education... like I did. I interviewed my way in without a problem once I learned what they truly needed. In this area of the country Educational IT guys make 80-100K. You DO have to be a jack of all trades and KNOW your stuff though. Lying will get you banned from every school in the country.