Help me please, not sure what to do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jamesw, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Jamesw macrumors member

I came home and my laptop was on and some programs were open. My uncle and aunt and their family are staying over at my house and I am not sure what they did. I found all of my computers on, one which isnt even working properly. I tried to access my school work from Macintosh HD>James xxxxx>Schoolwork but for some reason everything is deleted. The only thing there on the sidebar is Macintosh HD and Network. I lost movies, pictures, my house, and i am SO angry right now. I don't know how to get them back and I can't believe they went fiddling with my stuff. Nice houseguests they are... can someone please help me get my items back in the Macintosh HD sidebar? Thanks - James.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sounds like they just dragged the icons from your sidebar, and the actual folders are still on the computer. You can navigate to them by opening your HD (default name: "Macintosh HD"), the open Users>[your name]. You should see your Desktop, Documents, Music, etc. there.

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar should let you turn on Desktop, Home, Applications. For others, just drag their icon to the sidebar from the Finder window.

3. Jamesw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I found all the files, but i went to finder, preferences, sidebar and they are all checked but when I go to MAC HD and opens all there is is jujust Mac HD nd Network. But if i open like Trash, all my sidebar icons are still there?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Drag them out of the trash and back to the side bar.....

Bless

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Turn on your Password login screen!!!!

And go beat the hell out of your red headed cousin!

6. Jamesw thread starter macrumors member

Nono, they are on the side of the trash... the sidebar. I tried dragging the icon from the trash sidebar to the MacHD sidebar and it just did the vanish thing, what the hell? how do i make them reappear.

7. Jamesw thread starter macrumors member

haha, yes a good idea indeed. I now have the password login on , and this laptop will be locked in my room for the rest of their stay.