Help me Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jessica.barks, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jessica.barks macrumors newbie

I downloaded a .dmg file for real player and I have found on the internet where it says to mount it in Applications/Utilities. I tried that and it does nothing. I cannot get my real player to download or do anything. I have never used a .dmg file before, so please help me as soon as possible.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This may sound silly, but have you tried double clicking the file?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Gotta help anybody with "bark" in their name! Woof, Woof

3. jessica.barks thread starter macrumors newbie

He he haw haw

I've never heard that one before growing up with my name. I have tried double clicking it and it comes up with a window asking with which program to open with, but none of them open it. I know how to use computers, but this is the first time I've used a file of this type.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to rule it out: you're on a Mac, right? Please don't take that as an insult to your intelligence - just a diagnostic question.

Also being away from my Mac, I forget what to open it with to mount it - double clicking always works for me (it should show up as a disk icon of some sort containing files). Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, perhaps? Anyone?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's odd...
    A .dmg as I understand it is just a disk image file.
    It should open as you double click it and mount the image as a drive
    From there you would open the "drive"

Sorry, can't help beyond that, but I'm sure someone soon will help you.

Next time try posting a little more info in your title like "help with .dmg" and you might get a quicker response. Somebody that knows something about .dmgs will see it and take notice quicker.

Hope you get your solution!

Welcome to MR by the way!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think you are right, you can probably use Disk Utility from that location to mount it... but I don't know why you would have to.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Specifically, are you using OS X? If so, it may use the application DiskImageMounter (which is a core service), or use Disk Utility (Applications:Utilities) to open the image (Image menu > Open...).

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmmmm...
    Good point, I tend to forget to ask that!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

9. jessica.barks thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using Mac OS 9.2. When I downloaded the file its icon was a blank page. I have put it into the Applications/Utlitles folder and that did nothing. When I open it, it brings up the prompt to choose the program to open it (none of the programs StuffIt, etc. work to open the file.)

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You of all people should remember that some people use out-of-date OS's, especially while you're at work.... ;)

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That explains it. That version is OS X-only.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK then, another question.
    Are you sure you downloaded the RealPlayer for OS 9?

EDIT: Dadgummit... too slow again!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Go here and chose the "Real Player 8 for Mac" link - that should work!

14. jessica.barks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you all so much. We have several different computers up here where I work and they are mostly different operating systems. I really appreciate your help and think that this forum is really helpful.
    edit: Just so you know they are all Macs just different versions

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think the way she stressed having never used a ".dmg" file, i think she's on a PC. (dunno, i just feel like PC users are usually more concerned with the file type because windows explorer lists any files with no app associations as "[extention] file.")

disk image should mount with a double click on a Mac.
    it's unusable on a PC...

edit: dang, beaten big time to the punch... (started the reply and had to go away for a while...) :D

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Clearly, I have witnessed a golden moment in the annals of MR. A new member logs in with a plea for assistance, and you actually helped her without beating her up for being a n00b.

I'm impressed, really. :)

Made my day, but not quite as much as the news of Bill Gates woes at CES did yesterday.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, come now - when have Dawg, emw or I ever been mean to a new member asking a question? Never.

We save our ponted comments for the regulars.... ;)

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What is actually heart warming about this story is that she came back to say "thanks!". That's is just as rare as being nice to someone new.

I think jessica.barks is a fine addition to MR!
    Welcome jb and now that you've found your answer, don't leave.
    Stay and contribute to the community!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

So true - this is the true measure, in my opinion, of our success. Do they keep coming back?

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it probably had to do with her tone of the post and coherent sentence/grammar...

a lot of the n00b's come here and post thinly disguised rants or mockaries as "questions," as if we "owe" them help and explanations...

i mean, compare "i downloaded a .dmg file and it doesn't work, help please!" to "yo, got this strange .dmg file and doesn't do crap double click. what's up." :eek:

it also didn't hurt that good natured members started answering the questions first... (not me, i'm mean when i want to be. :D )