Help me please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Espnetboy3, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

i need to make a legal backup of my dvds so they dont wear from us , as im a huge movie buff. I used dvdbackup to rip it then i used dvd2onex to compress i had the folder video_ts and if i opened that folder in apple dvd player it works fine, but i put a blank dvd in opened toast selected data cd , dvd-rom (udf) . i named the dvd i put in the drive MAN ON FIRE, and dragged the whole VIDEO_TS folder into toast, do i just drag the files in the video ts folder or the whole folder , i put the whole folder in there, do i name it MAN_ON_FIRE i donno because after i burned it it wont play as a dvd. Although if i drag the files out of the dvd i made onto my hard drive and open that folder in dvd player it plays fine. any help would be great thanks?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it wont work in a dvdplayer because you burned it as a data cd

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

people said i had to burn it as a data dvdrom udf to make it work as a regular dvd in a player

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The disc should be named the same as the original. Most DVDs I have seen use the "_" character, so it sounds like MAN_ON_FIRE is a good choice - just doublecheck with your original

PS. When backing up for the first time, its a good idea to try a DVD-RW in case it doesn't work. This way you can always erase and try again.

Its also possible that your player can't handle copied discs. I had an "old" Panasonic that had this problem, so I got this player and it rocks!

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

One more thing. Some players still look for an AUDIO_TS folder, even if its empty.

So your disc should look like this

MAN_ON_FIRE
    |
    |---AUDIO_TS
    |
    |---VIDEO_TS

6. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I must not be understanding part of the initial premise here. " need to make a legal backup of my dvds so they dont wear from us (sic)". What wear is involved in the use of a DVD? It's not like an audio cassette or video tape, the head (lens) makes no contact with the tape (disc). How much use are you subjecting any given movie to, that the laser might begin to affect the impressed movie (more durable than a burned one)?
    Yes, I understand that 'fair use' has enabled people to make copies of purchased copywrited material for the own archival use, but I don't understand the current circumstances- the time you'd invest in copying your collection, the money paid for extra media, the money paid for software and a machine to copy the DVDs in, would be better spent in a savings account (earning interest) in the unlikely event that you need to replace a disc that should somehow acquire a flaw.
    What am I missing here (beyond an answer to the original question)? :confused:

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Don't know about the case here, but as a father of a 3 1/2 year old, I'd like to have backup copies of movies. Spending a couple of bucks on media and a little time to back them up on existing equipment is significantly better than trying to track down a copy of a movie that Disney has since pulled from circulation.

Add to that the fact that kids are remarkably hard on discs - they get smudged, scratched, etc. - and it's a nice idea for me. I'd prefer to run off the copy and keep the original stored away.

8. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

king thats pretty sad u sat there and wrote that whole paragraph questioning me like your the law or even care. i travel and i dont want to bring my original pulp fiction, or full metal jacket special edition dvds. if i must explain myself to u

9. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i did everything right, someone said not to burn it as a data dvd udf in toast just burn it as a dvd , more help would be very beneficial thanx

10. armandocerna macrumors regular

Did you put the empty AUDIO_TS folder. Also if you put the cd inside your mac does it autoplay using the apple dvd player

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Careful now...there are two kings on this thread ;)

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You may want to offer what you have and haven't tried since starting this thread. You ask for help but provide little information.

PS. I use DVD-ROM UDF when burning my discs in Toast and it works fine.

13. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I'm not the law, just a law abiding citizen. I too am a movie buff, a collection bordering on 2,000 titles. I was just stating that I didn't understand the need to do what you wanted to do, for the reasons that you stated. emw does make a good case for why s/he would want to make copies. I use a good case for my DVDs when traveling. I care, because illegal copies make the studios raise the prices, and I would like them to be kept lower so that I might be able to get more.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

Just a minor correction, illegal copies are used as an excuse by the studios to raise prices. As there is always going to be some level of illegal copying no matter what you or I do, they will always have that justification to raise prices. The real reason for raising prices is a five-letter word that rhymes with "screed".

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

There are 2 ways I have used to burn DVDs with Toast.

1. Use the Advanced button under the Video tab and click on DVD-video from VIDEO_TS. Then just drag your VIDEO_TS folder that DVD2oneX produced into the Toast main window. Change the default "My Video" disc title to something more relevant. You don't need to worry about the AUDIO_TS folder; Toast will create it automatically.

2. Look at the help for DVD2oneX about how to get an iso image file produced at the end of the "squeeze" process. This involves supplying a copy of the famous 'mkisofs' open source utility in the app directory for DVD2oneX. Once you have the iso image of your DVD, you can burn it in Disk Utility or Toast. In Toast, select the Copy tab and under Advanced click image file, then drag the image file to the main Toast window.

The first method is a couple of minutes faster and a bit more straightforward.

HTH

16. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

DVD's arn't invincible. In fact they are seeing cd's and dvd's starting to deteriorate that arn't even 5 years old. There is a very valid reason for wanting to back up your movies and albums.