Help me prove I'm not crazy.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was talking with two cow orkers the other day, and I happened to mention that fad that came and went about a year ago, where people would gather in a single place in public, say or do something odd, and then disperse again. The people didn't know each other -- they largely met over the internet -- and the things they did weren't supposed to make sense. That was the whole point.

My cow orkers, both of whom are young, BTW, looked at me as if I were crazy. Believe it or not, they'd never heard of it. I know I'm not crazy, I just can't remember what it was called? Do you?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Flash mob

They sound fun.. too bad I live too far in the boonies for anything cool like that.

Bye the way, I was able to overlook the first "cow orkers" the first time, but the second time kind of worried me. Your thumbs okay?

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm really surprised that a younger person wouldn't have heard of, "flash mob." I would understand if it were an older person, of which I'm one. The only reason that I've heard of them is by being on the internet. Being a member of a forum keeps me younger and up to date.

Neither of the parties are crazy. It is just a matter of the circles that you are a member. I hope that you are able to show them the above link.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously, he works on a farm where they have to ork the cows. See, if they don't ork the cows, they can't get beef bacon. :eek:

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh heh. I'm still new enough around here that I didn't know whether that was a familiar joke in this forum.

It started as a typo in someone's post at MacAddict, but it quickly became a running joke, mostly because orking cows sounds so perverted. :D

And thanks, all, for the flash mob info. Yeah, I'm surprised a young person (one's about 24) had never heard of it. I'm easily two decades her senior, so for once I'm one up on her with regards to pop culture.

And yeah, wd, the internet is a great way for geezers like us to keep thinking young. ;)

7. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I had never heard of that joke, but now I know.
    It is kinda funny.

8. numark macrumors member

Actually, it's had a more illustrious history than just that. It's been around for many years and was popularized by Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) in his writings about his former coworkers. See here.