Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
ok so this is it.

2 XLR Mic for Voice
2 XLR Mic's for the Drumset ( one for the Base Drum and one for the rest)
1 XLR mic for the Guitar
1 XLR mic for the bass.

So a total of 6 XLR mics.

Now I want to Record all 6 mics at the same time, and still be able to change volume and add effects in Post. So i need a USB audio Interface /Soundcard for my macbook that can handle that many inputs at the same time.

It has to work with either Logic or Garageband (although I Prefer Garageband...)

I have a Mixer (old) that we use to record stuff, but we only have 1 track for all intruments /Voice...

Do you know a Interface that does that, or should we just record one instrument by one? also i am not planning on spending more than 400€ really... :eek:

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Now I want to Record all 6 mics at the same time [...] So i need a USB audio Interface /Soundcard for my macbook that can handle that many inputs at the same time.
6 tracks via USB..? If it were me I'd definitely be going Firewire with anything above two tracks.

Presonus' Firepod goes for ~400e at Thomann (and at the moment they also have a b-stock with about 30e off), MOTU's 8Pre is at the 500e mark.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
6 tracks via USB..? If it were me I'd definitely be going Firewire with anything above two tracks.

Presonus' Firepod goes for ~400e at Thomann (and at the moment they also have a b-stock with about 30e off), MOTU's 8Pre is at the 500e mark.

Dont have no Firewire... :(

brmaki

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
RVA
Not having firewire is going to hurt you. Also, if you're planning on recording something that you're going to sell at shows or hand out or anything, you'll want it to be good quality. While quality might be a relative term, you're not only looking for an interface, you need the right mics and a good room to record in. If you're just looking to get into recording, then go for it, but if you're planning on recording your next demo/ep/full length, you might just be better off going to an actual studio. That's just been my experience though.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Without the benefits of a studio (isolation rooms), it's going to be kind of hard to isolate each track (especially the overhead on the drumkit). Theoretically, if you have long cables and lots of headphones, you could put everyone in a different room maybe?

If you're not wedded to recording live, you could always use the mixer to record a live 'scratch' track, then have everyone track their parts individually. That will help you maintain the live 'feel', even though you're overdubbing, and then you have clean tracks for effects/mixing (and you don't have to spend as much getting a USB interface that can adequately handle 6 tracks).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Hard to record drums with fewer than 3 mics, and even with 3 you have to be pretty clever and have a great-sounding room.

If limited to 4-6 simultaneous tracks, then overdubbing is pretty much your only option.

USB can't handle 6 inputs, 2 is more like it. Best bet is to hire a studio to record the drums, then overdub the rest at home with a 2 channel USB interface.

talbalos

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
According to your sig line you own a unibody Macbook Pro. Get a 2X1493A port Express card and add a 7200 RPM external drive?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Wondering if your guitar and bass have a 1/4'' plug that you could send straight to a mixer.

Then you wouldn't even need a mic and have to deal with isolation issues with those instruments.

Also, what brand mic are you using?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I've never used it, but you might wanna check out the Zoom R16

USB connection
8 XLR inputs
8 track simultaneous recording portable multitrack
Can also interface with the computer or use as a control surface
$400

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
A Macbook Pro lacks firewire? What about the G4? I think it might have FW. Straight recording to disk does not use a lot of CPU power. I don't know if it would work but worth looking into

Its a MacBook Unibody NOT a MacBook PRO that mine has no firewire :( the G4 Suckz its a sawtooth G4 400Mhz :eek: I think we'll just use the dubbing method using a Zoom H2

thnak you !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.