help me reinstall OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bep207, Sep 6, 2006.

1. bep207 macrumors 6502

my girlfriends macbook is acting very strange.
    it has windows xp on it with boot camp

it has ran fine but is now acting up.
    about 3 times a day OS X becomes very slow and when you try to launch a program that is not already open, it says Application Cannot be launched. this is always fixed after a VERY LONG restart

i want to try to reinstall OS X. I have an external HD that can back up all the files and docs.

When i reinstall OS X. I am going to format the OS X partition. TWO QUESTIONS:

1. How do i get rid of all the extra languages in OS X to save on space during install?

2. How do I put the files and preferences back on the MacBook after reinstallation? Is there a way to keep my safari preferences and passwords? or do i need to pretend like theyve never been saved before?

Thanks for you help
    Blake

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't use a nuclear bomb to squash a roach. Have you done any routine maintenance? Run Disk First Aid from within Disk Utilities. Download, install, and run OnyX. If these don't work, restart in single-user mode. At the command prompt, type fsck -fy to run File System Check.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try repairing permissions in Disk utility Run it until there is now more fixes coming up. This may take 2-4 tries.

4. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

no luck there, nothing to repair on first try

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you done the other things?

6. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

i did all of the above mentioned tasks. it came up with nothing wrong and nothing to be fixed.

im still have the random errors

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In your original post, you said that apps launch slower after the computer has been in use for a while. Now you say that you have random errors. Which is it--random errors, slow relaunches, or both? Which apps are causing these issues?

8. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

its not that the apps launch slow, its that they fail to launch. an error message comes up saying iTunes failed to launch.
    It is all applications
    a restart used to fix it everytime
    a restart now fixes it MOST of the time

9. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

if i copy the home folder onto an external hard drive. and then reinstall os x. and transfer the contents of the home folder back on to the macbook will i have kept all of my preferences, passwords etc..