Help me spec my iMac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by XIII, Oct 11, 2004.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Ok, guys. I will be ordering and getting an iMac G5 soon, and now's when I need to decide on some specs :)

I'm working out the price right now, and to do so, I really need to decide what I'm gonna get... This is where I need some help :rolleyes:

I originally always thought 17inch screen, but apparently the viewing angles are a bit crap. Also, the temptation of that 20inch screen is so big! I would have the iMac in my room, and would definatly watch some DVD movies on it. Would 17inch be ok to watch movies on, size wise? Or too small... I can't really picture the 17inch I played with in PC World, size wise. Will the 20 make that much difference watching DVDs on? While I'm still on size, what will the 17inch be like for using it as a computer? I currently use a 17incg CRT... Again, will the 20inch make enough difference for it to be worth it?

Then, the basic model... Say I go with a 17inch. SuperDrive and .2 ghz processor increase major? And faster front side bus. By 66 mhz... Is that gonna make a difference?

RAM, I'm pretty much sure I want two x 512MB, to keep it reasonably fast for the future as well...

Hard Drive - 80gig is standard, I'm currently using a 20gig, and its pretty much stuffed.... Is it a good time to double the 80gig standard to 160gig for an extra 70 quid...? I don't know how big Photoshop files are, but I'll be saving a few of them... And iDVD or iMovie files? Will they munch up HD space?

Then lastly, any other little add ons...? Bluetooth handy? It might be if later I find the money to get a wireless keyboard I was thinking... AppleCare needed?

Thanks in advance, I gotta work out when I can afford to order this thing...

Cheers

Jack.

2. serpico macrumors regular

serpico

Those G5 iMac's are very tempting especially the 20" screen model. I was at Best Buy last weekend, and saw the 17" screen model on display, the 20" was in the box below. The 17" model looked very big, but I would be tempted to go with the 20" model. If you're going to work in Photoshop, it's always nice to have as much screen space as you can afford.

Even the small speed increases in bus and cpu are useful for programs. So, if you pay for the 20" model, you get more than just a bigger screen. As you stated, higher specs as well. Ram and harddisk space, rule is, the more the better. I wouldn't want to open the iMac up for a long time, so I would take the 160GB harddisk and load it up with ram.

All those extras like Bluetooth for what if situations, I would think through. Airport is nice and wireless keyboards and all, but if it's not necessary, put the money towards the ram and harddisk. Remember, you can remove the stand and hang that iMac on the wall with the proper hardware. I read this somewhere, but don't remember the site. I believe it's the same standard in the industry and the Apple LCD monitors have it too.

Good luck.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Go for the 20". Believe me, the extra real estate will make you happy, especially if you are watching DVD's from 6-10 feet away.
    Buy your extra ram elsewhere, as much as you can afford (Crucial seems highly regarded by many around here). You will probably be fine for now with a single additional 512 for a total of 768. You can always add more later.
    A 160GB drive ought to hold you for a while. You can always pick up an ext f/w drive if you really need more than that.
    Add the BT module w/ keyboard and mouse to reduce clutter. Adding BT later means wasting a USB port.
    Get the AExtreme card only if you will have a network.

This is the computer you will be using for several years, in all likelihood. Do not scrimp on features now that are hard to add later and that you'll wish you had.

4. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Cheers. The 20incg Model I think WILL be damn nice: especially for watching dvds in my room. Thats so tempting. The bluetooth I was thinking of putting in... If I do hang it off the wall or whatever, I'll have to use a wires mouse and keyboard - that or a sticking out bluetooth dongle. Wouldn't look very good. Has anyone got any pictures of a 20inch model in comparison to something evryday - like a.... Mobile phone or something, held in the coner of the screen, so I can see how big it is in comparison... Thanks guys.

5. mpw Guest

I've just ordered a 17" 1.8Ghz with 1GB RAM and BT

I went 17" over 20" on cost alone and added RAM to the minimum I need now and will add more later(if needed, I went 2x512MB for cost reasons again even though it means more cost at upgrade time)
    I've got a MSBT mouse which is far superior to the standard Apple single button so had BT added aswell. It's worth noting that even if your not using BT now if you add it later you'll need to take up a USB port with an adapter and from experience some only work from the main ports not those on the keyboard say.
    I've got a 200GB external drive so have left to standard HDD, again for cost saving.

I also shop through the education store for the savings they offer and ask them to knock VAT off as I'm exempt.

If i'd had the cash I'd upgrade RAM, HDD and add an AP card to a 20" screen with iSight on top.

Good luck and let me know when it arrives.

6. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Huh? Sorry - I don't get what you mean...

7. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I would be hesitant about this. The iMac gets a big performance boost out of using matched RAM...unless you're going to sell the ram that came with the iMac and install a matched pair from crucial, I would use a matched pair from Apple right off the bat.

8. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Yeah, thats what I was thinking... This is gonna be one SWEET system :eek:

9. mpw Guest

If you're still at school, college, uni or even OU etc. you can buy from Apple's online store at reduced prices just click on the Education link somewhere on the left of the main screen.

I get the VAT (17.5%) refunded from Apple once it's delivered 'cause I'm outside the UK.

10. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

I know about the edu discount, just wondering about the VAT deduction... Luck *^&%$%*&... :p

Everyone, its gonna be a: iMac G5 20inch Display, 120gig HD, 1gig RAM, Built in Bluetooth.

Can't wait :)

A last point: I've worked out January as the earliest I can buy it - Jan to about March. Will the Rev B be out by then?

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Too lazy to dig out the camera but here's the measurements.

19 " wide, 16" tall. Screen is 17" wide and 10.5" tall. That is, obviously the 20" model. Just get it!

12. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

OK, I'll do me self a card cut out that size, and see for myself... Cheers ;) Thats pretty darn big... I'll get it alright... :eek:

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

For DVD watching i would go for the 20-inch.
    Its larger and it has muc better viewing angle than the 17-inch.

From Apple's iMac Tech specs:

14. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Here are a couple of photos of the 20" Display with normal stuff for comparison.

Attached Files:

15. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Nice pictures, thanks. Thats giant :p

What exactly is the vertical viewing angle? I don't really understand that whole issue...