Help me spend $200

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cwright, Sep 27, 2005.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Ok, my family is willing to spend $200 on something for my birthday this week... and I have no idea what I want to buy! :eek:

I need some ideas... any fun gadgets or toys that I may not have thought of yet. And before anyone says it... I already have a Nano :)

My last resort would be to add 2gb of RAM to my G5 for a total of 4gb. I do alot of work in final cut pro and photoshop which can both use 4gb of RAM, so I figured I might notice a boost in performance. Does anyone know exactly how I could tell if the extra RAM would be beneficial?

Open to any ideas though!
  2. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    One word, Skydiving
  3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    i always go for just putting that $$ in the bank until there is something you really WANT or NEED. :)
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
  5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    what do you need? if i knew that i had that amount to designate a gift, i'd get an airport express and an itunes gift card for the remaining amount. or, as rockthecasbah pointed out, just save the cash toward something else that you need to buy at a later date. other ideas:

- .mac subscription (if you don't already have one - i enjoy mine and think it's worth the money)
    - a psp
    - a new cell phone? perhaps one of the new blackberry models? i'd love one of those...
    - a tivo unit (i love my tivo)

hmmm, i'm out of ideas but think i have some things i'd like to add my own christmas list now.

whatever you end up choosing, enjoy! and happy birthday!
  6. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Thanks for everyone's input!
    I'd tend to think I should save the money for something later also... but I'd hate to tell them to just give me cash...

lets see...
    - already have .mac
    - not a big gamer, never really wanted a PSP
    - got a nice phone (moto V551) over the summer when we switched cell phone providers.
    - have a formac studio TVR that acts as my Tivo for now.

so those are all out. and unfortuneately, i'm too heavy to go skydiving :eek: although that does sound like fun.

I also thought about going for a GeForce 6800 Ultra or maybe a ATI X800/X850... since right now I'm driving a 24" LCD with a relatively wimpy Geforce 5200mx. But then again I don't know if I'd play games or use Motion, etc enough to really take advantage of it.

And then there's always the Xbox 360, but my roommate's buying one already :)
  7. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Well I decided to go with the X800 XT graphics card... probably should have saved the money, but this is an awesome card :)

Runs the UT2004 demo amazingly at 1920x1200, the Doom 3 demo stutters a little bit, but before it wasn't even playable. Now I just need to buy some games and use Motion enough to get my money's worth...
  8. brendel95 macrumors regular

May 23, 2005
    Donate for the Katrina victim or earth quake victim in Pakistan
  9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Very nice choice. :) Oh and happy belated birthday!
  10. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    Try out Half Life 2...wait...I dunno if that is out for mac's ... uhh...get doom 3 or if you really want to throw your social life away get WoW ... with that monitor and that vid card it would be a real good time :D
  11. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Half-Life 2 isn't out for the mac, but I may have to buy Doom 3 and UT 2004. My roommate and I just installed his 5.1 surround sound system in our room and have it connected to the optical-out on the G5, so it would be pretty sweet playing Doom 3 with surround sound at night with all the lights off :D

And I hear WoW is pretty cool too, but I'm not so sure I want to pay a monthy fee just to play the game... But we'll see. I may give it a shot someday. Is Warcraft 3 anywhere near as good as WoW?
  12. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    WoW is amazingly fun but terribly addicting. I enjoyed WoW more than WC3. There is that monthly fee too. I wouldn't recommend it if you are in school. Half Life 2 is not on mac and I don't think it ever will be. Valve hasn't even released HL1 I don't think. Too bad, it is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. That's the sole reason I still have my PC. :D It'll be out soon for Xbox so if your roomate is getting a 360 you should give it a look since it's backwards compatible.
  13. Kalinatek macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2005
    1-rent a nice car for 100$ a day
    2- take ur best friend to an elegant resturant !
    3-go to the movies

or u could hmmmmmm upgrade ur ram and stay home :p
  14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    buy 1 gallon of gas :D

(well, maybe only like 3/4 of a gallon, lets be realistic...)
  15. AZGINBOGA macrumors regular

Dec 2, 2004
    Buy my Firelite external hd, 100gb, fw400, bus powered, used a few times....