Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellias2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Hi all,
i downloaded Mysql (Version 5.1.30-osx10.5-x86), in order to use it with a Java program and Jdbc ...
After the installation is complete, i Searched the Physical files the installer creates ... i found Nothing ...
Does the installer make Phyisical files?? Hidden files ??Pref Panels?? extentions ?? What and where ??
in other hand, i read that the installer put the programme in the directory :
usr/local...:confused:
WHERE is this directory???? i searched All my Mac HD???
Please help me as i am beginner with Mysql...

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
If you installed in the default location, you should find everything you need in /usr/local/mysql

With the executables in /usr/local/mysql/bin

So assuming you add /usr/local/mysql/bin to our path, you can start the server from a terminal with:

Code:
sudo mysqld_safe

This will start the server. You can just close that terminal tab or window and the server will stay running for you.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Also, on my machine there is control panel under System Preferences to start the server. I don't remember if that was part of the normal install or if I installed that separately.

In any case, I don't use it because I found it to be unreliable and it didn't seem possible to pass parameters to the server that way.

So I just use mysqld_safe from a shell. Much easier, and you can pass params as needed.

ellias2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
If you installed in the default location, you should find everything you need in /usr/local/mysql

Yes i read this in many PDFs ... the strange thing that i searched all My hard drive for the name "local" to know this place...
i found in my HD only :
MacHD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/local
and
MacHD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/local
and nothing inside ...:confused:

Also, on my machine there is control panel under System Preferences to start the server. I don't remember if that was part of the normal install or if I installed that separately

Yes, it is a part of the normal install .... but i open it ... it did nothing ... it contains only a botton that open/close MySqlServer

So assuming you add /usr/local/mysql/bin to our path, you can start the server from a terminal with:
sudo mysqld_safe

Here a tiny question :
is it necessary to stuck in the command line procedures to setup and use MySql ??? or it is possible to skip it and stay on the graphical environnement?? as i am an old Mac user (since 1990) and i Love the graphical interfaces as in the classic OS :) :apple:...
not the command line ways like MS windows and Unix strategies :eek: ...
Thanks a lot

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Yes i read this in many PDFs ... the strange thing that i searched all My hard drive for the name "local" to know this place...
i found in my HD only :
MacHD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/local
and
MacHD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/local
and nothing inside ...:confused:

I don't think /usr/local is visible from the Finder or searchable via Spotlight if that is where you are looking. Someone else can maybe give you a way to do that.

But if you open Terminal, then just 'cd /usr/local/mysql' and there you are. Underneath the Mac GUI is a very nice BSD-ish computer. :)

Yes, it is a part of the normal install .... but i open it ... it did nothing ... it contains only a botton that open/close MySqlServer

Which doesn't work for me very often. So I don't use it. I've never bothered to figure it out.

On my MacPro, I just have mysqld set to start on startup (so running all the time in other words). and on my macbook I just start it from the command line whenever it's needed.

Here a tiny question :
is it necessary to stuck in the command line procedures to setup and use MySql ??? or it is possible to skip it and stay on the graphical environnement?? as i am an old Mac user (since 1990) and i Love the graphical interfaces as in the classic OS :) :apple:...
Thanks a lot

I don't know if it's necessary. Certainly it's fairly easy to just open a terminal and type 'mysqld_safe'. Takes very little time and works flawlessly.

Then you can use whatever GUI you like to set up tables and what not. personally I like this GUI for Mysql: http://www.sequelpro.com/

But there are other choices as well.

Again, on my desktop where mysql server is always running I don't have to use terminal for this at all. Just start Sequel Pro and do what I need there.

PrinceOfEgypt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
Here a tiny question :
Thanks a lot

1. OS X is Unix (BSD to be exact)
2. MySQL is also "Unix"..

just my two cents.. not meant to flame anybody :)

ellias2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
But if you open Terminal, then just 'cd /usr/local/mysql' and there you are

Yes, thanks, u r right ... may be my question was trivial :cool: ... that is because i am not familiar with Unix (and may be i don't want) because i am very familiar with my Loved OS Classic MacOS, and since MacosX comes i did not try to give a smile to the command line strategie because i get the Bad smell of the Bad MS windows OS when i open command Line interface ...
well.... now i am in terminal.. i wrote cd /usr/local and i entered local and see inside it these three items :

MySQLCOM mysql
include mysql-5.0.51a-osx10.5-x86
lib mysql-5.1.30-osx10.5-x86

hmmmm... how to create a small database now...??See it?? fill it??? where the work will take place?? via Terminal ?? or others??:confused:
Thanks to clear this point.. or link me to a pdf that explains all the stuff??

Certainly it's fairly easy to just open a terminal and type 'mysqld_safe'. Takes very little time and works flawlessly.
Then you can use whatever GUI you like to set up tables and what not. personally I like this GUI for Mysql: http://www.sequelpro.com/

i downloaded it, it has NO documentation at all ... so i could not know how it works and what it does ...

Again, on my desktop where mysql server is always running I don't have to use terminal for this at all. Just start Sequel Pro and do what I need there.

Wow... this is Great ... i hope that i can reach this step ...

...finally, how can i Rate your answer here?? like in other forums to give you points for your usefull answers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.