Help me switch over completely

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aldo, Apr 28, 2004.

1. aldo macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

Currently I have an iBook G3 800 which is a SUPERB laptop. I bought it without ever seeing OSX properly and I absolutley adore it. Everyone else comments on how great it looks and it's been a great experience with it.

However, the time has came to switch my desktop over. Currently it is a Athlon 1800+, 768MB DDR RAM and a Ti4200. Now, I don't mind paying a bit more for that extra quality but I don't really want an all in one.

What should I do? I was thinking about an eMac but I'm not sure I want a poor quality CRT that cannot do 1280x960/1024 @ 85Hz. Considering I get bad headaches from less than 85Hz refresh, I don't think it is ideal for me.

I was considering getting an iMac but they are too expensive for me and as I've said I would find an all in one too limiting.

What do you guys suggest I do? All I want is a moderatley expandable desktop and then I will use my current CRT (which is a great mitsubishi that has done me very well for the last couple years), then buy a Apple TFT when I have a bit more money. By moderatley expandable I need expandable RAM and HDD (ie have more than 1 HDD without resorting to expensive firewire ones), and preferably graphics card.

Do you think Apple will realase a base station thing like I need?

I'm tempted to buy an eMac and see what its like. I'm sure it would be ok, but the CRT is a worry. Anyone who has one care to comment?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um....

It's called a 1.6G5...or just get an older G4 tower. You can find both for less than $1800, the G4 right around $1000 if you look hard enough.

3. &RU macrumors member

You can find an older G4 like the quicksilver model on ebay for about the same price as an emac and keep your old monitor.

I have to say, the iMac is worth a second look. I am currently using the 17" 1Ghz model for graphics and video without complaint. You can get 1Gig sticks of RAM from here (http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=945&RequestTimeOut=500) and max it out to 2Gigs. And there is also a dual monitor hack for the imac so that you can use your old monitor.