Help me switch over completely

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aldo, Apr 28, 2004.

1. aldo macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    England, UK
    Hi everyone,

Currently I have an iBook G3 800 which is a SUPERB laptop. I bought it without ever seeing OSX properly and I absolutley adore it. Everyone else comments on how great it looks and it's been a great experience with it.

However, the time has came to switch my desktop over. Currently it is a Athlon 1800+, 768MB DDR RAM and a Ti4200. Now, I don't mind paying a bit more for that extra quality but I don't really want an all in one.

What should I do? I was thinking about an eMac but I'm not sure I want a poor quality CRT that cannot do 1280x960/1024 @ 85Hz. Considering I get bad headaches from less than 85Hz refresh, I don't think it is ideal for me.

I was considering getting an iMac but they are too expensive for me and as I've said I would find an all in one too limiting.

What do you guys suggest I do? All I want is a moderatley expandable desktop and then I will use my current CRT (which is a great mitsubishi that has done me very well for the last couple years), then buy a Apple TFT when I have a bit more money. By moderatley expandable I need expandable RAM and HDD (ie have more than 1 HDD without resorting to expensive firewire ones), and preferably graphics card.

Do you think Apple will realase a base station thing like I need?

I'm tempted to buy an eMac and see what its like. I'm sure it would be ok, but the CRT is a worry. Anyone who has one care to comment?
  2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

It's called a 1.6G5...or just get an older G4 tower. You can find both for less than $1800, the G4 right around $1000 if you look hard enough.
  3. &RU macrumors member

Mar 5, 2004
    You can find an older G4 like the quicksilver model on ebay for about the same price as an emac and keep your old monitor.

I have to say, the iMac is worth a second look. I am currently using the 17" 1Ghz model for graphics and video without complaint. You can get 1Gig sticks of RAM from here ( and max it out to 2Gigs. And there is also a dual monitor hack for the imac so that you can use your old monitor.