Help me test my new site? please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by yagran, Feb 23, 2007.

1. yagran macrumors 6502a

Hi, just looking for feedback on my site really. what does everyone think? anyone spot any errors? thanks :)

http://www.mcfluffit.com

the main problem i have is slow loading times...any one got any solutions? i need to have it so not everything loads each time, so only the stuff that needs to changes. i dnt want frames really, i thought about maybe using like iframes/ajax?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Looks really good. The news section however doesnt seem to load properly i let it sit about 2 minutes than navigated around a bit. All in all a nice job.

3. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I think it looks really nice and clean. Congratulations!

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Thats the worst site I've ever seen.
    ha just kiddin

the news, It doesn't work. just waits

6. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

ye problems with the news hmmm.. it loads through rss from the portal section. any ideas how i can make rss load into flash reliably?:apple:

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

The design of the site is really nice and clean and I love the rotating header.

Two things bother me though... all of the graphics look like you should be able to click on them to bring you more info on that subject. In fact, nothing on your website is clickable except the top nav bar :confused: Even where you say "new users" check out the faq... I kept trying to click faq until I realized it was just a graphic.

The other thing (and maybe this is my browser? ), normally when looking at a webpage, I click somewhere in the body of the page to press space bar to scroll down but Safari just stays where it is and I have to move my mouse over to the scroll bar to get the bottom of the page.

8. Elixer macrumors regular

Yeah the design is sweet but this kind of bothered me also.

9. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Only thing that really bugged me is that everytime I clicked on a link in the menu it refreshed the entire window... Kind of like opening a new page within the same window.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

did you just use a template, or are you er, using some inspiration?
    If you actually did design this, I'm sorry if I come across as suspicious...

11. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

I love your style but seriously, did you see my website before you made that or something? This is so weird, those colored bars in the menu were in my original plans on hard paper before I made my website. Are you stalking me?

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

haha, pwnage!:p

13. adom macrumors 6502

indeed. inspiration to da max!

14. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

erm no, honestly this was mine and a friends original design, locked in a room for 2 days and this is what came out. its inspired by everything i like i guess, but im sure ive not visited you site before. i used NO templates only thing was stock photos and and the little people images all from www.sxc.hu if i remember right.

yer your right its pretty much just the top menu that is clickable, but i made sure to make it obvious the menu was prominant.

thanks for your feedback, v2 is under way :D

15. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

I changed my website since so I don't really care. It used to look almost exactly like that and I made mine from scratch as well. If you were a photographer with similar content I would care.

16. ambient macrumors member

flashloaded offers a component called rss reader that can be worked with actionscript and other components to customize it.. of course, if you aren't into buying components you can actionscript it yourself..

17. ambient macrumors member

i have to agree it does this look very generic or like one i have seen before... two days in a room and you couldnt come up with anything more creative? are you trying to sell your design skills or just your coding skills?

18. Trogloxene macrumors regular

The site looks really nice. Make sure you add your description meta tag so that the search engines will describe your site properly.

<meta name="description" content="site description here">

Also do a cool favicon.

-T

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Design wise I actually like the site quite a bit, it's not the most original site I've ever seen, but it's not horrible either.

But there are 2 things I would change.

1)Try playing with the black colour both along the edges and the text. Right now it just seems a little strong and I think you could soften it up a bit.

2)There is no reason to be using flash for every component here. In fact other then the header on the first page (with the rotating images) I didn't see anything else that has any reason to be done in flash. Text on a website should be text, not graphics/flash.

20. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

the reason its all flash is so i can edit it on the fly, im using a component called fCMS by flashloaded.

to ambient >> im already using that rss reader component, thnx anywayz

i know its not the most 'in your face' design, but thats kinda what we went for. it shows off skill with out being to...show-off-y i thought lol.

anyway, v2 is in the making and its going to use one flash file that spans the page which will load each flash movie into it, so it should speed up loadng as i can share components and movieclipsin a shared library. also i will be optimizing for search engine using a php script which will take the text from the flash and make it readable by google and others :D also the background will be changing to something softer as suggested (i see what you mean) and i really want to inject a bit more colour so ill experiment a bit.

thanks for all the feedback people.

21. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I really like it. overall a great looking design. easy on the eyes.

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I really like it, strong use of layout and typography makes it a please to look at and navigate.

The icons and images that have you used suit the site so well and I'm guessing the photos are from either iStock Photo, Image Exchange or Corbis??

Great site.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Love the layout but flash ****ing sucks. Get rid of it. You can easily make that layout using xhtml, css, and .pngs. The only thing you would need to use flash for would be the animated header.