Help me transfer data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gwardys, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Gwardys macrumors member

I recently got a new macbook pro, and I need some help transfering data from a windows based PC to my new laptop.

I can connect to the computer over a wireless network, thats a no brainer, but the problem is I have almost 30 gigs of music, and about 10 gigs of pictures to send from one computer to the other.

Running over the network, I max out speeds at around a couple hundred kbps. With such a large ammounts of data, i'm looking at an endless time to send all of it.

Is there a way to send data faster? I tried connecting a direct ethernet cord, but I had trouble setting it up. Would this show me any speed improvment at all?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Use the direct ethernet method, and connect to the network just like u used to. It will go a lot faster. I'd leave it for all night to do the transfering.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you have an iPod, you could use it as an external drive. Just head to the iPod preferences within iTunes Preferences and check Enable Disk Usage. :)

4. Gwardys thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an iPod yet, as much as I wish I did right now.

However, i'm having a bunch of problems setting the two computers to see each other. I still can only send over the network.

Could someone walk me through the general steps I need to follow for the PC and the mac? [Using a direct ethernet cable.]

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. plarusa macrumors member

If you create a PC share, then connect to the PC from the MAC to copy the files, it should be quick. I can get a 60Mbs/6MBs transfer rate while copying from Windows to a Powerbook 1.5GHZ. For your case, the whole process should take less than a couple of hours. Login in from Windows into the MAC and copying is much much much slower. Someting to do with Samba on the MAC I think.

7. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

im going to be doing this in a few months and I have a question. The MR guide says I need to have a windows logon and password to access my files....but what if I dont have one? I just press the power button on my PC and boom windows comes up and I dont enter a UN and password.....what do I do?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Give the account a password. It's done through the Control Panel but I'm not near a PC so I can't really guide you more than that. :eek:

All PCs should have a password anyway. :)

9. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

thanks for the tip mad jew...but i just created my own UN and password lol. ive always wondered how to do that and i found out just by looking around in the control panel :p