Help me with a Surfboard

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Jul 18, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello Hello. I'm currently looking for a surfboard, but heres the problem: I know nothing what-so-ever about boards and which one I need. I know exactly what I need for snow becuase I snowboard, but that really won't help me in this situation.

Perhaps someone can help me?

What are some good brands at cheap to mild prices. I'm 5,9 180lbs, and I like being able to move quick and cut rather than long strides (well in snowboarding, dont know what difference length makes in surfboards).

Thanks

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i can tell you it's much harder to surf on shorter boards. long boards are the easiest for beginners. you should probly not get a board shorter than 6'6

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, at your height, you shouldn't get a board shorter than 7'0" if you're just starting. ;) Oh, and get a board that's at least 21" in width. 21.5" or 22" is better if you really want to be picky.

If you're buying used (and trust me....most people get a used board first), you need to look for cracks and little dents. Make sure the dents don't mean that the inside of the board will get drenched in water, because that won't help you float. ;) If there's a crack on the board that was fixed, and you don't know how to judge whether the crack was fixed correctly, then don't bother with it.

Oh, and get a board where the tail end is wide, and not a board that's tapered at the back. It'll be too hard to learn on if it's really narrow at the back.

After you become good, then get a board that's 6'4" or shorter.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, my friend. You're talking to a non-surfer. :p :D

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i've always heard that bigger is better for beginners.
    [​IMG]

Its easier to ride or something. then when you get better, you can get a shorter board.
    [​IMG]

5. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

First, I would like to make this clear. DO NOT GET A SHORTBOARD or a FISH if you are starting out.

If you have never surfed before, rent a softboard and play with that. After you can stand up, invest in a good quality longboard (7-9 feet).

Surf with that and once you can ride face very well, get a shorter board (6'5). Play around with that, and once you feel comfortable on that, get a shortboard/fish.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey thanks guys alot. Its another language this surfing...

How about brands? Any okay to pretty good brands out there that you all prefer?

I'd get used but I'm in Texas as of now so there isn't many surf shops around me..

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

How much does renting cost?

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Aloha
    Town and Country
    Channel Islands/Al Merrick
    Hawaiian Island Creations
    Nev
    Maurice Cole
    Lost
    Rusty
    Webber
    G&S
    Santa Cruze
    DHD
    Dahlburg
    Becker
    Pipedreams
    Hot Buttered
    Beach Beat
    Bic
    NSP
    Spider
    Local Motion
    Egan
    Qstix
    Hobie
    Greg Knoll
    Bear
    McTavish
    Pukas

however, brand names dont mean much in surfing. its all about how the board feels for you. ANY surf shop will sell used boards. thats what i recommend. a cheap long board, b/c you WILL f it up, lol.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Alright thanks. I guess I'll just wait till i'm at Califonia to look for a board.

10. Timepass macrumors 65816

also I would recomend goign to a surf shop and talking with them. general they should have some experince surfer there or some one who knows what right for you.

A lot of the time they are pretty cool and not going to just try to sell you the most expeice thing. They work with you help get you what is best for your needs.

My brother got a long board first (I think it was 9ft) and the later got a short board. I dont really surf but I know how he did it and that was talking with a surf shop and learning what are good for his needs.

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Man 9ft board on top of my mustang... Ha sounds so funny

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well getting a longboard may be a bit extreme. He'll only need a longboard for the first 5 trips out into the ocean......10 at most......so there isn't a point in buying a 9' board.

Go with one that's 7'4" or something. I have something like that.

Too bad I realized how much I dislike water and swimming. I always knew I did, but I still wanted to try surfing.

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Dang really... I dont much like ocean... Love swimming but not so much an ocean guy... and Would rather be on mountain anyday. But I figured hey if i'm gonna be out there might as well do something active outside.

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

wanna sell that board if you dont surf anymore?

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey guys, well I have surfed now. I had a blast and it was horrible. I found some sporting good place that rented me a board. It was a foam board that was the size of the bus. I honestly don't even remember it. I know it was almost as long as my mustang (that was fun driving to Zuma with it on top).

Anyways this is how my first time surfing went. My friend and I both got our tree logs for surfboards and hit the waves. Zuma had some nice rolling waves 2-3 feet at the most. Because the board weighed more than my mustang it took me forever to get out past the waves; I was worn out.

I sat on my board for a bit waiting to catch my energy. The waves were going in groups. I waited for the calm. Then saw a new group of waves starting, so I decided to hit them. The one I chose started out perfect. Just rolling and small, but it soon got 5-6 feet tall. Panicking, I jump up on my board. I am standing! I am riding for just a second if that when I start to see the sand throw the water below me - the wave was taking the water under my board. I panicked even more and caught the front side tip of my board slamming into the water/ground. I never felt a spinning motion until the group of waves I chose spun me underneath the surface of the water. I surfed some more, but none as eventful as this. I don't mind a foam board but this one was so damn heavy and twice my height practically.

Well, now I need some help. I am searching craigslist for a board. I don't want a monstrosity of a board. I want something small. Something I can grow with. What do you guys think of this board: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/spo/624516029.html. Do you think I should try for something bigger? I really don't want anything fancy at all. I just want a cheap board that won't feel like a canoe.

I am still 5'9" and 180.

16. n00basaur macrumors regular

I learned on a shortboard so it is possible. But, it also depends on the kinda waves you have. You need something hollow and steep for a shortie. Also, if you're one of those dudes who goes to the beach once a month it's just not gonna happen. Oh, and you're gonna need to paddle real hard.

You could also just use a funboard in the 7 foot range.

17. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Yes.

And don't go to Zuma, too many kids and bad breaks. Go to county line, a little bit down PCH north.

18. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Alright I'll check it out. Zuma is the closest so that is where I have always gone. Why is it better? Just not so many people?

I'd go about once every week and a half or so. I'll look out for a 7 footer. Is it fine if I stay away from a foam board though?

19. n00basaur macrumors regular

Yes.

20. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Thank god.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I noticed you're in Woodland Hills (I lived there for several years)

You might get some help from this guy:

Glen Kennedy Surf Shop
    22755 Ventura Blvd.
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364

(I looked it up, hoping the info is current)

I lived across the street from the family that owns that shop, he's a cool guy and he knows his stuff.

22. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Sweet I'll check it out. I actually drive pass this place a lot, but I haven't gone in this particular one. I have been going down one that is a little more west.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So your first time was a little something like this? :D
    [​IMG]

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hey hey...I learned on a 7' moved to a 9', then down to a 6' and back to the 9' and rarely looked back. The waves where I was from were smaller and I found myself up more than many when it was a bit flat.

OP....if you're willing to drive to Huntington Beach there are a TON of surf shops with used boards. You certainly don't want to learn on a new board. You will look like a douche and you'll be sorry.

25. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I got to hunnington once and awhile. Perhaps i'll swing that way soon. I am looking for a used board for sure. Don't want a new one until I know its the exact size I want.

The picture didn't work. Is this what you meant: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/mavericks?o=23&f=/g/a/2006/02/05/mavericks.DTL&type=mavericks