Help me with my iPod decision.......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I received a gift card for Christmas and I want to buy an IPod. I have never had one before and it's time I get one. I have a few questions....

1. Which IPod should I get? 30GB or 80GB? I am not a real heavy music listener. I want to use it mostly for podcasts, watching movies or TV shows, showing friends photos, and listening to music. Is the 80GB overkill for me if I only have about 50 songs on ITunes right now that I purchased?

2. Which color is more popular (white or black)?

3. Would I be making a mistake now buying one or is there a new model coming out soon? I really do not need the IPhone. That is overkill for me and I have already signed a 2 year cell phone contract with Alltel. Will the current IPod be sufficient enough for just listening to music and watching videos and TV episodes?

4. If I buy the Ipod at Best Buy do I get their coverage or do I get the AppleCare from Apple? Which plan is better?

5. What accessories do I definitely want to get with my Ipod and who makes the best case? I would love to hook it up to my car radio.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

1. I think you should be fine with 30GB
    2. More people seem to have the black one, I prefer the white one, see which one you prefer
    3. Some people (including me) expect an iPod with the iPhone's music part soonish, but then again there is always something around the corner
    4. Not sure, sorry
    5. iTrip can broadcast radio to your car stereo, look into it

Good luck with your new iPod!

3. ready2switch macrumors 6502

I don't think 80GB would be overkill for movie/tv watching. Not that I'm trying to get you to spend more money, but I always believe in getting more room than you need right now, because you never know what you will add later.

As for color, go look at them in person if you can and pick the one you like. :D

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yeah...but not only is the 80BG model more expensive, it is also marginally thicker...

5. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'd go with the 30GB and White is the traditional apple color so I would definitely stick with that for your first iPod purchase. Black shows scratches more too...

I've heard the best buy plan is pretty good...if it breaks they replace it. On the other hand, apple probably has just as good of a plan and will make it readily replacable. Pluse you already get an initial 1 year of applecare with an iPod purchase...it's there standard warranty...correct? Read the fine print on each warranty. I personally haven't bought applecare for any of my iPods, but I sure as heck bought it for my Powerbook.

As for the case...I would definitely get an invisible shield from shieldzone.com or a best skin ever from bestskinsever.com

6. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

1. I think the 30GB will be enough for you.

2. I think more people prefer the black, but I like white. It's just personal preference. No difference in features between the two.

3. If you don't mind waiting to see if anything new comes out soon, then wait.

4. It doesn't matter where you buy the iPod from. It matters when you purchased it and if the iPod is eligible (still under the 1-year standard warranty). I'd go with Applecare, only because I don't know anything about Best Buy's service plan. With Applecare, if you need service on it done, they just give you a new replacement. At least that's what happened with mine.

5. Get an InvisibleShield and/or an Agent18. I use a Kensington FM transmitter and it works great. But I think most FM transmitters are unreliable for the most part and it really depends on your location.

7. ronni3 macrumors regular

Go with the 30GB unless you intend on using it often enough for video to warrant the necessity of having 80GB's. I have a 60Gb and I never use all the space unless I go on vacation and need to put cartoons on it for my son, otherwise I regret having so much space.

8. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

I was reading tonight where Nielsen Research conducted a survey and they found out that most people rarely use their IPod for videos. It said in the article that most people use their IPod for listening to music and podcasts so perhaps the IPod Nano would be sufficient for me. I noticed that it's only $50 cheaper than the bigger IPod so who knows???

9. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

For your first iPod and only $50 more...go with the actual "iPod" (30 gb White). Maybe you'll decide to get a nano or something later.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the 80 has a bit better battery life if u plan on watching movies...
    edit, forgot to add: black shows more dirt etc like others have said also you should look into getting the crystal film set apple sells as soon as you open it. Sometimes you don't want to put it in a case cause its bulky.

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

1. 30GB
    2. I prefer White, but Black is more popular.
    3. You should be fine buying now.
    4. Yes you get AppleCare in all its caring glory.
    5. Some sort of CASE!!!!

12. Hadley macrumors member

thats a weird statement. are you getting an ipod as a status symbol or do you actually want to watch video on it for your own reasons?

13. butaro macrumors regular

5.5g 80Gb is cheaper than 5G 60g was, which was pretty much the same as the 5.5's