Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Hi All,

So I convinced my project group in my Supply Chain Management class to do a paper on none other than Apple. Do people know where I can find articles on Apple supply chain issues (and there's been a *lot* that's gone on in the past 10 years). I guess I should drag myself to the university library the old-fashioned way like I did in high school, but I'd rather read content online (and Google wasn't being very helpful).

Thanks everyone!

-Leonardo Malave

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
lmalave said:
Hi All,

So I convinced my project group in my Supply Chain Management class to do a paper on none other than Apple. Do people know where I can find articles on Apple supply chain issues (and there's been a *lot* that's gone on in the past 10 years). I guess I should drag myself to the university library the old-fashioned way like I did in high school, but I'd rather read content online (and Google wasn't being very helpful).

Thanks everyone!

-Leonardo Malave

Well, G4 chips were not being producted in enough quantity at one point. Now the G5 production is slow but speeding up. The 6800 graphics cards for the new 30 inch was behind schedule which pushed back shipment of the Powermacs that people ordered. Are these the things you want to hear?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
varmit said:
Well, G4 chips were not being producted in enough quantity at one point. Now the G5 production is slow but speeding up. The 6800 graphics cards for the new 30 inch was behind schedule which pushed back shipment of the Powermacs that people ordered. Are these the things you want to hear?

Thanks, yeah! Things like that. I'm looking for articles that I can quote, though. And also looking for all the good things Apple has done. There's a reason that Apple is now profitable and sitting on a $4 billion cash hoard - and it sure isn't increasing market share (considering market share is only 2% now - half of what it was in 1997 when Jobs came back).

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
lmalave said:
Thanks, yeah! Things like that. I'm looking for articles that I can quote, though. And also looking for all the good things Apple has done. There's a reason that Apple is now profitable and sitting on a $4 billion cash hoard - and it sure isn't increasing market share (considering market share is only 2% now - half of what it was in 1997 when Jobs came back).

I would say look on http://www.macminute.com and http://www.macnn.com and here at macrumors.com

IPOD, and the halo caused by it (13% of people got macs or are going to get a mac) is what has caused the 4 billion and high stock price.

AND SHUT UP ABOUT MARKET SHARE. Apple has 10 other PC companies to compete with, of course they are not going to be able to out sell them. Especially when businesses would rather spend money on tech support for a $100 PC than get a good computer.

But here are some things to look for other than what I said above. iPods last winter were in short supply. Also the minis went pretty fast too and were hard to find in certain colors (i believe pink and green). When ordering a new 1.6 G5 iMac, or any iMac for that matter, it took about 1 to 2 months to get shipped out because of the low G5 stock. Might want to read up on when and how Apple payed of its debts and is now profitable now.

Also look at IBM press releases that deal with Apple. They are the ones who are producing the G5, and there was something about how the first batch of G5s at 95nm were messed up.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
varmit said:
I would say look on http://www.macminute.com and http://www.macnn.com

IPOD, and the halo caused by it (13% of people got macs or are going to get a mac) is what has caused the 4 billion and high stock price.

AND SHUT UP ABOUT MARKET SHARE. Apple has 10 other PC companies to compete with, of course they are not going to be able to out sell them. Especially when businesses would rather spend money on tech support for a $100 PC than get a good computer.

No, the iPod is not the reason for the turnaround - though it may push Apple to new heights. Apple's financial turnaround happened long before the iPod even existed. Apple was losing $2 billion when Steve Jobs took over. The original iMac and the Titanium/Aluminum PowerBooks were 2 big hits that have generated more profits for Apple than the iPod has. But the point is - it's efficient operations that has been responsible for Apple's financial turnaround just as much as anything else.

And my point about market share is that Apple has been able to increase its profits even in the face of steadily decreasing market share (at least after an initial bump to 7% after the first iMac). Again, I credit this to having a coherent strategy and executing it with great efficiency, more so than to any brilliant marketing or design.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I did a search at scholar.google.com for "apple computer supply chain" and came up with tons of refs--PDFs that you can read from your computer.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
wordmunger said:
I did a search at scholar.google.com for "apple computer supply chain" and came up with tons of refs--PDFs that you can read from your computer.

Ahhhh...scholar.google.com!!!!! I remember reading about that a couple weeks ago! Thanks - will look immediately. I love technology!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.