Help! Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ibookluv111, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ibookluv111 macrumors member

i ventured inside my ibook today (witht help of a guide), to learn how to replace the optical drive, because i will be doing so in a few days. so, just now i noticed that system profiler says i have 256mg ram, when i actually have 384. ??? what is going on. my ibook has 128 built in, and a few months ago, i added a 256 so-dimm (brand new), i just popped off the keyboard, etc, etc, took out the sodimm, put it back in, rebooted, and it still says theres only 256mb ram! is this a big deal? is there still physically 384mb ram, and it thinks theres only 256, or is only 256 of it working? ahhh, confused:mad:

2. dukeman macrumors member

If you go into the Apple System Profiler thing under system it will tell you where the memory is installed. Also double check what model ibook you have. Some did not have 128 on board. The 256mb chip that you think you put it was probably a 128 and you didn't notice it, or it was mislabeled from the factory.

3. ibookluv111 thread starter macrumors member

nope, underneath the keyboard, the label says that this ibook came with 128, and the sodimm says 256, when i added it, the profiler said 384, like it should. but since i went inside, now it thinks the 256 is only a 128.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If nothing got jostled inside severely enough to cause some pins to become unseated, I'd say it sounds like an electrical charge got discharged when you touched the interior, perhaps shorting out some of your memory. Can you try taking out the RAM and firmly reseating it, taking the appropriate grounding precautions?