Help migrating to Firefox and GMail from Safari and .Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hob, Apr 15, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hey guys, I was just sitting here thinking - why pay for .Mac when I have a really good, free, GMail account - and now there's calendar support!

Thing is, GMail is really ropey on Safari (as I'm sure you safari users have found?) and Google Calendar is not yet supported.

So once again, I downloaded Firefox.

My main stumbling block in the past with moving to Firefox has been the way it handles RSS feeds. In Safari, I have an "RSS" button in my bookmark bar, which has about 8 or 9 feeds attached to it (Macrumors, Greenplastic (Radiohead news), a couple of blogs etc.).

In firefox, it seems it handles RSS totally differently, and I was wondering if there's a way I can get it to just behave like Safari? Is there a plugin?

Secondly, is there an easy way to migrate all of my old .Mac email to GMail? Has anyone found an easy way to transition from one account to the other? I'm talking about informing everyone I know as well as every website I'm registered at - which problably numbers in the hundreds!!

Cheers,
    Hob

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are several extensions for Firefox that will make it more Safari-like. I don't remember their names, since I don't use Firefox anymore (I used to, it's a great browser, but I use Safari for the .Mac integration). As far as migrating email goes, I don't know how to import stuff into a web-based email program, or if GMail even supports it.

I wish I could help you more :(

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I'm starting to wonder just why exactly I pay for .Mac at all! I don't really use my iDisk that much, i can definately work without it. I like having an @mac.com address, but @gmail.com is only one letter more :p

I've been playing round with Firefox today, and now I have Sage to read my RSS feeds with, it seems pretty cool. Adblock doesn't seem to work as well out of the box as PithHelmet...

But I think I may have just found a new browser!!