HELP! Mini vs iMac G5 Rev B

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by krollster, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. krollster macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Like alot of other people I've seen the mini and think it's a bit of alright. Unfortunately I'm currently an ibook user and don't have any of the other bits that I need (monitor, keyboard etc.) When I spec up a mini to the level that I want and include a decent 3rd party TFT monitor (no room for CRT), the cost ends up being only £300 short of a similarly configured 17 inch iMac with superdrive (which I can buy cheap ram for and install myself).

    I can't afford the extra cash now so here's the dilemma...

    a) Should I spend the money now on the mini setup or
    b) Save until the Rev B imac comes out and hope like hell that it comes with a speedbump, better GPU and Tiger. :cool:

    Obviously I'd like a new computer now, but I'm happy to wait if it will mean I'll have a kick arse iMac with all the minor issues resolved (c'mon Apple).

    I know questions of this nature are popping up a lot at the moment but helpful insights would be most appreciated.

    Krollster
     
  2. Benj macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #2
    I bought an iMac 20" this week after waiting for MWSF.

    If you haven't got screen, KB, M etc., by the time you have added all of that (and specced up the Mini) you are closing in on iMac prices (unless you get a horrible monitor) but with a processor that is a generation old.

    I think the Mini looks great for PC users who want a Mac for iTunes, iPhoto, virus free internet etc.. If you know you want an Apple and you have none of the peripherals it does not look like a great deal to me.

    (Unless you have just sold your PB - you know who I'm talking too.....)
     
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

    Applespider

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Location:
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    #3
    Keep your iBook and save the extra cash if you don't NEED it immediately.

    An iMac G5 should last a lot longer than the Mac mini which is older technology and won't handle the new Tiger CoreImage features so well. Add in another £100 for Tiger upgrade with the Mac Mini if you can hold off on the iMac until Tiger is out.
     
  4. krollster thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #4
    Thanks for the advice. I agree, the mini is a very good deal for switchers. I'm just pining for something with a bit more stick because Lenny (my ibook) is a bit long in the tooth and his 500Mhz G3 is starting to battle with photos and music (don't even mention the 10gig HD). The more I think about it, the more I think I can wait for an imac... I'll just have to keep clear of Regent Street :D
     

Share This Page