help move mail from outlook express (os9 pink iMac) to Thunderbird (osx iBook)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedTomato, Jun 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Help, I don't seem able to do the simple task of moving email folders, contacts etc from my partner's old pink iMac to her shiny new iBook - can you help me?

TO: Thunderbird / os10.3 / 700mhz iBook.

The two macs didn't want to talk to each other over ethernet, but I have a firewire drive, so did a backup of desktop & applications & documents from the iMac, and put the files onto the iBook.

Problem is, Thunderbird doesnt seem to want to import anything - sorry to be so vague - the import menu just shows no option to import from Outlook Express. Am I going about it the right way? Can you help?

A look on google revealed the advice to install Outlook on the iBook. Huh. Outlook isn't available for os X anyway (!) Thunderbird is not available for os9 either, so couldnt take that route.

Many thanks if you can offer any advice - she's threatening to take away my geek certificates :)

2. macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you googled for tips?

My situation was a little different, I needed to move stuff from Windows Outlook to Mac Mail. I ended up finding a great program called Outlook2Mac to do it. I am sure there ways to convert email from Mac OE to some sort of general format for import into other programs.

Also, search Macupdate too-
  3. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  4. thread starter macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Thanks for the tips. Both suggested apps are for moving to mac from PC or vice-versa. This is an os9 - os x move on different computers. Eek!

I finally did it for free in a completely different way:

1. Copy the Applications and Documents folders from the os9 mac onto my firewire external drive.

2. Connect the external drive onto the iBook. Move the 'Main Identity' folder from:

External drive> os9 backup> Documents > Microsoft User Data > Identities > Name of Identity (typically 'Main Identity')

Home> Documents> Microsoft User Data > Identities on the iBook

3. Start up Mail on the iBook, select Import Mail > import from Outlook Express. Point it to the Outlook application in External drive > os9 backup > Applications

4. Mail automatically starts up Classic, and starts up Outlook Express. It then automatically found the mailboxes in Home > Documents > Microsoft User Data > Identities, and imported all the mail into

[this is why I moved the folder in step 2. Otherwise Outlook can't find the mailboxes and you end up with a single 'welcome to outlook' message imported. Dumb i know. Outlook looks in different places when started up on os9 and os X. This can't be changed.]

5. Start up thunderbird and import from Daa daa!

But thanks for all your help.