Help! moving from G3 to what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shadylady, Jan 29, 2007.

1. shadylady macrumors newbie

Okay I still use a G3 with OS 9. I'm ready to buy. Thought I wanted a MacBookPro with everything. Now I'm concerned I won't be able to use any of my old files. Don't mind buying new software. I own OS X never installed because of memory requirements. So.. after reading many posts I'm thinking may I need a G5 iMac. A big step up for me. Any advise on switching. Where to look in the archive. My computer is really slow on the forum...... :eek: Any advise on where to buy. Oh I use Filemaker, Quicken, Word and Office, and Photoshop elements now.Thanks in advance.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You can use all those programs on a new Mac, though you'll most likely have to buy new versions. Your files should all be compatible, though. I would avoid a pre-Intel Mac if I were you, unless you find a really amazing deal on one. They're nice computers, but you seem to be someone who doesn't change computers often, and for a little more money you could get a Core 2 Duo iMac which would be a lot more future-proof than a G5.

As for advice... I'd say make sure you have backups of everything before you set up your new computer. Make sure it's all secure, just in case something goes wrong in the transfer. Other than that... good luck!

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

livingfortoday is right. If you even consider anything pre-Intel you're cheating yourself big time. Just go check out the refurbs on Apple's website. And yes, all the things you mentioned will work fine (thought you're obviously going to have to get some new software, but the saved files will work fine).

4. LastLine macrumors 65816

Agreed - at least go for an intel Mac, mostly so that you don't end up having to worry about OS X not running on a PowerPC machine in a few years time.

5. shadylady thread starter macrumors newbie

old files

Thanks. So you are saying my old Filemaker 6 files will work on new Filemaker 8 intel. And Word files from classic will be readable on the new computer? Anyone know if Old Turbo TAx files tranfers or Quicken 2002. This sounds great so far. The Apple sales guy said I couldn't open the files.:cool:

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

7. shadylady thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrading

So I'll get an external Hard drive to do my backup. Does everyone think new intel is the way to go. How many have problems with a refurbish? Where should I buy? anything else I'm going to really need. I want to get it all now. I'm a farmer. It's now or next winter.:D

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

The refurbs from the online Apple Store are probably the best way for you to go. They have the standard 1 year warranty, and Apple is pretty good about replacing and repairing things. I don't think there are many issues with refurbs, as they all come like new (except for packaging) and have been thoroughly tested.

9. macjay macrumors 6502

Amazon has good deals, sometimes close to the same price for new as Apple's refurbs (Apple charges tax, Amazon doesn't).