Help, moving old settings to new OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CHC, Aug 10, 2005.

1. CHC macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance
    I have 2 internal hard drives. After some frustrating performance I have decided to make one HD a dedicated system drive and use the other for apps and files. I have installed 10.3 on my dedicated drive, now I want to move all of my system settings over to the new OS. I there an easy way to do this?
    HC
    please feel free to email me at treehouse3@citcom.net

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Since you've had performance problems, maybe it would be best to not import all the system settings as they could have been part of the problem?

I know that when I last imported settings from one Mac to another through the wizard you get when you first start a new Mac, the new Mac had a lot of beachball problems until I repaired permissions. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that has made me prefer to always start from a clean system.

3. CHC thread starter macrumors newbie

O.K I may just be confused

Your advice is good. I think I am missing something that will make this all make sence to me.
    I have been using one hard drive. I start the computer and all my apps show up on the dock, all my bookmarks and settings in my apps. I can jump into work. When I boot off of my new dedicated system drive I have no access to my bookmarks in explorer, my dock is lacking all of my favorite items. Can I use my new HD and have my desktop look like it used too? I was hoping that using one drive dedicated for the system would make everything basically look the same except be faster and more stable.
    HC

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo