Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian559

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
I blew a circuit in the basement. It turned off all the power to my g4 733 quicksilver. Now it will not start up at all. It was on a powerstrip. When I push the button it lights up then goes right out. If I push the button on the 17 inch lcd it lights up and stays lit........ HELP

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
Okay there could be four culprits...
1)You need to zap the P battery...At the back of the motherboard around the PCI slots, there is a tiny black button... You hold it down for 10 seconds...Then you try to turn your computer on...If that doesn't work, this is where it gets hairy...
2)Your motherboard is FRIED. You will need a replacement, and may god have mercy on your poor soul if you don't have applecare...
3)Your power supply is dead, this is also pretty bad, but not as bad as 2...
4)Your processor is dead, this is pretty bad, but this gives you an oppurtunity to upgrade to something with a little more VROOM VROOM
Well hope this helped,
-void

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I had this when I had a power blip last year, exactly the same thing. I had it on a surge protector but it still got it. I had to ship mine off to Apple (god bless AppleCare), they replaced the logic board (aka. mother board, main board) :(

ian559

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
Well I got it running.... Reset the battery and it fired up!! I still am not happy with this system. Apple has had it 4 times in a year. They have replaced the logic board, processor, and hard drive.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by ian559
Well I got it running.... Reset the battery and it fired up!! I still am not happy with this system. Apple has had it 4 times in a year. They have replaced the logic board, processor, and hard drive.
Well...at least it's back up and running again, it could have been worse :)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by void
. You will need a replacement, and may god have mercy on your poor soul if you don't have applecare...

Applecare wouldn't cover that. Applecare is a warranty for defects ONLY. They do not cover anything caused by "changes in electrical current". Try homeowner's or renter's insurance. Apple Care is just a warranty, not insurance.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by tjwett
Applecare wouldn't cover that. Applecare is a warranty for defects ONLY. They do not cover anything caused by "changes in electrical current". Try homeowner's or renter's insurance. Apple Care is just a warranty, not insurance.
Well obviously you wouldn't say to Apple: "Hey, I just had a power surge now my Mac won't turn on, can you fix it?", you'd just say that u went to turn it on one morning and it wouldn't work...like I did ;) :rolleyes:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by edesignuk
Well obviously you wouldn't say to Apple: "Hey, I just had a power surge now my Mac won't turn on, can you fix it?", you'd just say that u went to turn it on one morning and it wouldn't work...like I did ;) :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you got away with that since it's really easy to see if a failure has occured because of a power surge with most electronics. There are electrical components that reside in between the power supply and the rest of the machine's vital parts that are designed to essentially take the hit of the surge and blow out so it never reaches things like the motherboard. I'm glad you got away with it, just surprised. Although, I do know a certain someone who got lucky with Apple service after dropping his PowerBook from the couch to the tile floor after falling asleep watching Dune, thereby causing the DVD to get lodged in there having to be yanked out by hand and destroying the drive. This certain someone told Apple that the drive "suddenly stopped working". Three days later: new optical drive, free of charge. I still don't know why they didn't say ask me about the large dent...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.