Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i have the more recent white usb apple keyboard
i spilt a little bit of ice tea on it i immediately unplugged it removed the keys and tryed to wipe up as much liquid as i could i then tipped it upside down and went to work
when i came home it looked dry so i pluged it in it gave the mouse power but it failed to function
anyway i can salvage this keyboard?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've heard some people have success with dumping distilled water into their keyboards to rinse out the sugary liquid. And then of course letting it thoroughly dry.

You've already got a dead standalone keyboard, so you can't really do anymore harm...might be worth a shot.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
ok unless better ideas come il try that
if not abyone want to recomend one of these keyboards
http://www.powerone.ca/products.php?id=15
(best feature mac compatible ect. yes there is a small selection but these i can get cheap through my work so there a good temporary solution)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
yes i found this but sadly like mentioned i got the more recent white apple keyboard it looks different so isn't the disassembly different

Not really, just have to find where some screws are hidden under stickers and such (Apple likes to hide screws under stickers for that clean look.)

Otherwise, the cleaning and repair is about the same.

It's not like the keyboard is expensive, but cleaning it can save you $30.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i dunked it in water and put it by a air vent and it started to work or so i thought... then i got a usb over power notice and i quickly unplugged it and put it back there for a few more hours now im not getting a error and its functioning fine so far
(i guess even though it looked dry it had internal water or what would cause a over power notice?)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
A couple of years back I spilled tea on one of my keyboards. I quickly ran it under cold water for a couple of minutes then left it to dry in a warm place for 2 days. It worked perfectly after.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
i spilled liek 5 drops of water on mine and immeiately unpluged it and took out all teh keys and dried it out, the spacebar and some of the keys didnt work so i brought it back to apple becasue it came with my Imac and was covered under warranty, they gave me a new one....

SueLynn

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Spilled tea in keyboard

Did you tell them you spilled water in it? I have the 3 year extended warranty and it was bought Jan 27, 08.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.