HELP! My dad's PC had a Virus!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, May 14, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I can't get it off! The stupid thing that came with windows wants me to pay. I got something called AZE Search and ads just keep popping up even though I'm not connected to the net. I'm using adaware right now but it looks bad and everything going crazy, QUICK I NEED HELP!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If Adaware/Spybot are crashing and not running that's because the spyware is interfering with them. If that's the case it's probably best to get windows a re-install. (FIRST BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT DATA)

As your on a Mac Site I assume you have a Mac, the simplest solution may be to network the two computers together and back up your Dad's data onto your Mac. Then do the re-install.

For clean windows fun, the most important thing you *need* is a firewall, (I like Norton Internet Security myself, but most others would disagree.) Windows Firewall is crap and not enough. I would also recommend switching on password protection (in norton's options) so the firewall cannot be taken down, if you don't you will find your firewall taken down from time to time (and you'll probably have to reinstall the software).

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh I backed up his documents onto my PowerMac. I try to get as much as possible. Adaware couldn't get surfsidekick off and that's what's always popping up. I tried to delete it but i says it's being used. I went under Control Alt delete and it's not there. I'm gunna do System Restore now to yesterday.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

Before doing the restore, download a trial of Webroot's SpySweeper. It will likely get rid of that for you.

On my PC, I use a combination of several things to keep it virus and spyware free - and none of them are too expensive or difficult to maintain.

First, I have the router which serves as a firewall of sorts by assigning IP addresses with DHCP. You can set up MAC filtering and all sorts of other things, but I haven't and have not been hacked.

I also run Norton Internet Security and Webroot SpySweeper. I also have the Windows firewall on. Keep everything updated and run the auto-scans and your dad can be about as safe as could be expected on a PC.

Oh, and tell him to stay outta the pr0n - LOL! Seriously, there is no substitute for common sense when surfing. Avoid sites for hacks, key gens, free ringtones, and stuff like that. If you get a pop-up - and I rarely do - do not click on it anywhere except to close the window.

You could be a good son and tell him to get a Mac, but of course you already did that.

Change his homepage to Apple.com where they are running the new ads.

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well he runs his own buisness(Micro tiny little buisness) and he could use a mac, yet all the people he works with would be like WTF?!> I did a system restore and everything seems ok(I hope) I am going to try the spysweeper though. Thanks!

6. Queso macrumors G4

Boot Windows into Safe Mode (F8 at startup). Go into the Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit) and clean out anything dodgy looking from the registry keys listed on the following site:-

http://www.absolutestartup.com/help/Winstart.htm

Google the names of all executables on your Mac. If it's a virus, all the Windows people will have been posting about it. Delete any registry values that are confirmed as dodgy.

Then you need to clear out other infected files with your Anti-virus and Adaware. Manual scans from both should work in Safe mode.

Then reboot into normal mode and run full scans again. Hopefully that should get rid of everything, but sadly it may not. Best of luck.