Help My Decision! iBooks - new ones worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fall, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2002
    #1
    Okay, I want my own mac ASAP, and I've decided on an iBook...should I wait for these 'phantom updates' to the line that are supposedly coming? How far would you guess realistically they are away?

    Should I just settle for a snow book?

    Oh, and would Macromedia Studio MX run any decent on them anyway? I wouldn't be doing anything heavy, but I'd need to use it!
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    yzedf

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2002
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #2
    yes - wait

    Found here:

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  3. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2002
    #3
    Is anyone good at guessing?

    How long should we expect to wai t for new ones though?
     
  4. macrumors 68040

    Kwyjibo

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    #4
  5. macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #5
    in 2002, there were January ibooks, May ibooks, and November ibooks (the current ones). The new ones have to be coming in some reasonable timeframe...

    I got one of the January ibooks in March and there were better ones two months later. That was pretty annoying...

    I'd say wait unless you're desperate. :) The updates might not come until the summer, but then we'd be talking 7-8 months between updates and that's a lot for Apple.

    It's been about 6 weeks since apple released any updates, and ipods, ibooks, and 15" powerbooks all have to be coming in the next few weeks I'd say.
     
  6. macrumors 68040

    Kwyjibo

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    #6
    I agree its a long update but there are a few issues

    they now have 4 laptop models to deal with (assuming all top o line iBooks have the same specs 12 or 14). Because of that everything needs to mesh and well. As you may have ntoiced there have been a bunch of "iBook or Powerbook threads" and apple knows this and they want ppl to buy a Powerbook.

    The current mobo in the 12in iBook only supports up to 800mhz so they need a new mobo when they upgrade it.

    Right now i'm sure they are selling more powerbooks because they are now cheaper 1799 and they have more features, DDR, AE and bluetooth. By leaving the powerbook to sell itself over the un updated ibook they are acheiving their goal of selling more powerbooks. I honestly still sya sumemr for all the laptops at once its the onyl real logcial choice. I also don't think a new 15in will appear unless it gets a faster processor. The 15in provessor woudl probably nto outpce the more costly 17in model. Jsut my thoughts.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    macphoria

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2002
    #7
    In my opinion, update is just around the corner. Apple products go by 6 month update cycle, which means iBook will be updated in May at the latest.

    This update might not be simple processor upgrade, it might be a whole new iBook. We've been told this will be "year of laptops." I don't think introduction of new aluminium PowerBook early this year will be the end of it.

    If this were to be simple processor upgrade, I'm inclined to say it would be 900Mhz G3 update. But if it turns out to be whole new iBook, I believe Apple will toss in 1Ghz G3, not only because 1Ghz G3 has been available for a while, but because introducing a whole new product with mere 100Mhz update will not be enticing enough for the buyers.

    If you are not in a hurry, wait for the update and then decide. Worse comes to worst, if you do not like the update of iBook, you'll be able to buy current iBook at discount price.
     
  8. macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location
    #8
    I still say that they're going to break their 6 month update cycle and update in June or July instead of May. The 6 month cycle isn't accurate like a clock, but a good estimate. When they DO update in the summer, it'll be a HUGE update. I suggest you wait. :)
     
  9. macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #9
    I bought one now knowing there were updates on the way but how long should a person wait?

    I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, it does what i want, why would i want more at the moment if its already capable?
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    macphoria

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2002
    #10
    I suppose a person could wait if that person is not in a hurry to get a computer and already has access to one.

    Also, if a Mac you want to get is expecting mere processor upgrade, you could decide not to wait. But if the Mac is going to have complete overhaul, then it might be worth the wait. Latest model tends to last a little longer and have better compatibility with latest software (Panther?).
     

Share This Page