Help my family buy new computers...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Ok, heres the story. All the computers in our house right now are getting old, and are struggling to run OS X. My dad said he would upgrade them, and we want to come out with a plan.

My mom uses her computer for Office/Excel, QuickBooks, that kind of stuff. My dad was just going to get her a 20" iMac G5, but I think that is a waste of money. She would never really utilize the G5, and it would be a waste in 5 years when it comes time to upgrade. I told him to go with a Mac Mini/Dell 20" LCD. It would save like $800-$1000.

I use my mac for websurfing, mail, chat, making webpages, small games once in a while. Me and my dad built a gaming pc for games, because macs just truly suck at them. Anyways, I think a Mini would suit me best too. I would get a Dell LCD (they make nice ones), and put some RAM in it.

My dad already has a 1.25GHz PowerBook 15", so he is set for the Mac part. But, our gaming PC that we built is due for an upgrade too.

I need help picking out parts for a new one! My dad read about some technology where a motherboard has two graphics card slots, and you put two cards in. Then, the Mobo (or the OS, not sure) splits up the graphics equally amongst them. Has anyone heard of this? Does it work good?

I was thinking something along the lines of Athlon 3700+, Radeon x800, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA Drive. Let me know what you all think.
  2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The dual graphics card technology is called SLI. It is only available on the new nvidia cards, though, and you have to have a motherboard that supports it. Go to and look up the recent graphics card benchmarks. They should give you an idea of what you want.
  3. rccola70 macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2004
    How about this:

Mom - eMac or mac mini if you want to buy your own display
    Dad - Powerbook
    You - Mac Mini or iMac 17" or if you like portable, iBook 12" or PB 12"
    Gaming PC - AMD 64 3x00 (X being any number), 1 GB DDR2 RAM, ASUS Mobo, 120+ GB HD, Radeon x800 (PCI-X version) another display..

or you could use a KVM and share an Apple Cinema Display with the mac mini and the gaming PC..

Thats a lot of money though...

Just some thoughts in my head..