help my friend decide..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tazo, Apr 30, 2003.

1. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    My friend all of a sudden asked me if he should buy an ipod. I told him well yeah if u get new music frequently and if u ever need to move large files. beyond that i cannot really say anything.

i will direct him here. so if u could list all the reasons why he shoudl get an ipod that would be greattly appreciated.

Also my friend really does want it, this is not like "my friend has a drinking prob...." :D

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    my friend has a drinkgin problem too (looks around). I dunnno, if Arn is right about apple not putting 2.0 on oldipods i would not buy an ipod personally. I mean i purchased a 20gb iPod in october and i thought hey i'll put the moeny in for extra space in the long haul. well enter new ipods and the goodipod model is left without new great features. I understand it from te sales point but WTF, i plopped down alot of $$ and i would like an upgraded product. i would look at ipod alternatives persoanlly, they offer simialr amounts of storage and more geatures than even the new ipods at a lower price. Its sad but unless apple supports original ipod users i can't recommended buying products that are not computers.
  3. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    if he already said he wants it, why do we have to "persuade" him?

The pros and cons IMO for the iPod are

Easy to use
    Large capacity (compared to CD based or flash based memory)
    Good looking (IMO)
    The ability to have access to lots of music while you are away from computer

Larger than flash based players
    carrying case sucks
    remote could be better

Basically the iPod is for people who like to have lots of music available to them at all times, and have an elegant and easy way to use it.
  4. unc32 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    yes. it is a wonderful machine. I don't understand why you are all worried about the lack of upgrade. When you buy a cell phone do you expect it to be upgraded to the newest features. Who cares about those others things. you use it to listen to music. It is just as good today as it was last week.
  5. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    Oh please.... you WHINER!!!! :rolleyes:
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    tell your friend to get one!! :D

as for reasons: it's the smallest MP3/AAC player/Hard Drive that you can get, in typical Apple style has awesome design, and ... it's awesome!! :D
  7. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Not to mention that the 30GB model is the largest capacity MP3 player currently on the market, I believe.
  8. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003

The Creative Zen has 60 gbs... But is a lot bulkier.