Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Well I bought a dual 2.0 g5 and when I tried to register the computer the online registration the number was unknown. I tried the online lookups and the first part of the serial number was fine. Where it was manufactured and when. But the last 3 letters were a mystery. They are svr. I called apple support and they were stumped and esculated it up to the next level who then initiated a special investigation. Anybody have these letters as their last part?
Thanks,
Chris

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Are you getting the serial number from System Profiler?:

1. Click Apple menu > About This Mac.
2. Click More Info.

The serial number should be right there on the right when the System Profiler window appears.

driggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Yes. I am looking at the number from two places. One is the system profilier and the other is in about this mac dialog box and clicking on the os version number. The label on the inside of the case is missing and only has sticky tape where the label should have gone!
Thanks,
Chris

clayj said:
Are you getting the serial number from System Profiler?:

1. Click Apple menu > About This Mac.
2. Click More Info.

The serial number should be right there on the right when the System Profiler window appears.

driggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Eric,
They were at a lost. My serial number reveals the it was manufactured at factory G8 (usa) in the 1st week of feb 2005. The last part "svr" is what is drawing a blank. Aplle is looking into it and will get back to me.
Cheers,
Chris

EricNau said:
My number doesn't end with that, sorry.
What did Apple tell you, couldn't they help?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Where did you buy it? If from an Apple Store or the Apple online store, you should have zero problems. Ditto if you purchased it from an authorized Apple reseller. If Apple can't resolve it, they should swap the unit for one with a valid serial number.

If other PMs have the same "type" of last three digits--eg, three letters like yours--it is most likely an issue of their serial number database not being updated properly.

You are wise to have this resolved now, before any possible issues come up.

Best,

Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.