Help: My ibook acting strange

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Hakkinen, May 30, 2004.

1. Hakkinen macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    I restarted my ibook today and found there are 4 things being placed on my desktop. They are: my user folder, network and 2 files : .localized and .Ds_store
    I am using panther 10.3.4
    What is happening?
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I assume your network and the user folder haven't been there before? You can enable networks in the Finder preferences, but I don't know why they're suddenly there, if you didn't do anything.

The two other files are always there, but normally hidden. Possibly, you used some app like TinkerTool to make hidden files visible.
  3. Hakkinen thread starter macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    Yes, they were not there before.
    But I have just figured it out!
    I was testing the hide files and display hidden files in Terminal.
    So I tried to change the setting, and the 4 files are invisible from my desktop again.
    I thought my ibook has got virus or something (although everyone says there is no virus for mac)
    Thanks for helping out.
  4. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Well, technically its more like a lack of known viruses and security holes.
    In the history of all the Mac OSs there have been a couple, but theyre more playful than anything.
    If Windows had the number of users Mac OS X did, there wouldnt be a new Windows virus popping up every day. Mac OS X has no dangerous viruses because not enough people use it to make it a target for virus writers, plus OS X is a TAD more secure than XP.
    So, basically, there are really no harmful virii because there aren't a lot of users. Blah.