Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Well, I got an iBook. Except it's in like, 50 pieces. Has marker markings all over it and sticky stuff.

Today, I got around to getting it back together. With the help of iFixIt and Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser, I got it to a very decent looking shape. So I plugged in the power adapter, crossed my fingers and hit the power button.

And to my sheer shock, it worked! Started up in Mac OS 9.1! Amazing!

But there's now only two things wrong with it. The trackpad and the optical drive.

The easy one first; the trackpad. I think it's because I connected it wrong. How do you connect the trackpad? I can't figure it out.

And now the hard one... the optical drive. It wouldn't open. I think it's jammed. Any way I can open it and test it or something without taking it all back apart *cringe*?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
What model of iBook is it?

Oh oops, I was so excited I forgot to mention what kind!

It's a 500 MHz G3 iBook.

I managed to open the optical drive. It's b0rked all right. Maybe I'll treat the iBook like an MacBook Air! Just gotta get myself a firewire cable so I can boot it in target disk mode so I can install OS X on it. :D

Still gotta get that trackpad fixed though...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I just took the little guy to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store, and the guy there got the connector in correctly. The trackpad works perfectly now!

Now I just gotta up the RAM and add an AirPort, and it'll be a very functional notebook! (Sane the optical drive :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.