help my Ibook is growling!!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xwk88, Jun 18, 2005.

1. xwk88 macrumors regular

I got home today from work and my ibook started to growl and make weird noise should I worry about this I guess it might be the spinning HD but it never happened before and it really creaps me out do you it feels weird right under the keyboard on both sides of the touch pad like a spinning feel.
    :confused: :(

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Its the Tiger inside.

Da hee hee hee :p

Seriously though does it sound like a loud fan kinda growll? I kinda sounds like your fans are running overtime for some reason. How long have you had it and have you done anything significant in the past couple of days like an upgrade or something along those lines?

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Hard Drive-->Applications-->Utilties-->Disk Utility
    Check the drive? What is the SMART statis?

Is there a CD or DVD in the optical drive? Eject it and see if it stops.

Does it make the noise when the fan is running? (As above)

Just some thoughts.

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Is it sort of a clicking? Or more of a whirring? If it's clicking, it's almost definitely a hard drive failure. Backup your data right away if you haven't already. If it's more of a whirring, constant sound, then I have no idea. Get it checked out at your local Apple Store.

5. xwk88 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so last night like ten minutes after I started this thread my computer just stoped working so I went and tried restarting it wouldn't find the disk and would not turn on nothing I could really do tried booting from the tiger cd it didn't help the computer wouldn't recognize the drive so I went to sleep and planed to take the computer to the apple store today but I trry to turn it on and it worked just fine I even repaired the permision and the S.M.A.R.T status say verified well the growling stoped and everything seems fine do you guys think I should still take it to the apple store to get them to check it and should I stilll back up my data. :confused:

and this computer waas turned of for the first time yesterday in about 3-4 weeks do you think that the computer could just be over worked? I mean the most it's be off is for a couple of minutes never a whole night some times I even leave it playing music at night and it doesn't even go in to sleep mode I though that info helped on some thing.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Take it in and get it checked out, you may as well.

By the way, you shouldn't leave it on all the time. You need to let the little 2.5 inch hard drives sleep every now and then. Maybe rethink your computing activities, or get a desktop. :)

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Definitely back up your data. If you boot from an OSX install disk (Tiger or reinstall disks) or another drive, use the drive utilities to make a complete disk image, that you can respool on a replacement drive if it ever needs to be done. I would also back up your documents, photos, keys etc, to a separate DVD or cd, independent of a complete backup.

(DMG files can be mounted by OSX as though they were read-only drives, but if the data becomes croupt, or was bad to begin with, you might not be able to retrieve your data.)

Call Apple, it seems that your under warrenty, and I would add AppleCare, but that's me.

8. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Definately agreed. As soon as you hear ANY sound coming from your machine, scramble into backup mode if you don't make regular backups. It may not end up being anything, but if it is the hard drive, you'll be glad you did.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Is a desktop really better to leave on all the time? Just asking because I was thinking of getting an iBook or 12" PB, but I always leave my G4 on 24/7. :eek:

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I leave my desktops on 24/7/365, and everything works fine - in fact I've done my iMac DV 400Mhz that way ever since I bought it (5 years ago), an it works perfectly to this day with all stock parts.

If the Mac in question is a desktop, then I'd say leave it on all the time, especially at night. OS X runs some important UNIX tasks at night to keep things purring, and without these things slowly start degrading.

11. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

This thread makes me wonder...

How much should an iBook G4 be running?

I usually use mine for about 6 hours straight, and then let it sleep for like 18 hours.

The reason I ask is because I am thinking of selling my PC and using my iBook as my main computer. In this case, I would be using it very often, but I don't want to over work it.

Would it be OK to leave it on over night every now and then so the background cleanup stuff runs?

12. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Sleep

Does sleep count as leaving it on?

if it does, i hope my hard drive has super powers... i've never turned it off.

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

My G3 is almost always on unless I am going to work, coming home from work, at mcdonalds working, etc. Basically if I am not travelling the iBook is open and running. I have it playing music from my computer in the basement via iTunes.

So far so good.

Quick question, if I check put hdd to sleep when possible will playing iTunes or leaving Adium on interfere with the hdd's going to sleep?

Mike

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

No, the HD will "spin down" and stop "crunching" but the music and stuff will still play...at least it does for me. Sometimes when I get a new IM it starts again though or if the network stalls in iTunes Radio.

Sleeping counts as turning it off because the HD is off.

15. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

[​IMG]

I've had that problem before.
    :D

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You shouldn't really leave laptops on all the time without letting them sleep - hence this thread. ;)

A desktop would be fine though. It's got more efficient cooling and generally more durable parts, well, mainly just the hard drive.