Help- My Ibook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by moravian, Aug 17, 2004.

1. moravian macrumors newbie

:eek: My Ibook is acting strange. When I log in the Icons all appear except for the bar at the bottom. When I click on an Icon the computer screen goes blank and then the Icons reapear and a message says it is unable to open. The only thing working is the systems folder. When I change over to mac 9.2 that is working. I did a hardware test and everything appears to be working. I thought I might be using too much memory as I have a lot of pics and files on the computer and desk top. However, it won't even let me delete a file. Does anyone have any suggestions. I hate to reinstall the operating system as I did not back things up(stupid I know). Does it sound like a virus or something else? You can e-mail me at moravian@world-net.net

Thanks any support would be greatly appreciated

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Start by repairing permissions on your startup disk. Go to Applications > UItilities > Disk Utility. Highlight your drive and click 'repair permissions'. Let us know how that goes.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

find your cd's

From what he said, it sounds like he can't even get to his applications folder, so doing disk utility from the boot disk isn't possible. Go find the cd's that came with your computer and put the first one in and start-up with it. When you get to the install window go up under file and there should be an option for disk utility (I think), try doing what he said that way.