Help! My ibook's hard drive is getting smaller!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Littleodie914, Oct 2, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ahh! Here's my situation... I bought Myst 4 a few hours ago, and in the installer, it said it would take about 7 gigs to install. I had approximately 7.2 gigs remaining on my hard drive, so I decided to delete a DVD that I had saved to a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder (inside a folder titled the name of the movie.) I checked the size of the folder before I deleted it, and it was 6.8 gigs. I dragged it to the trash, right clicked on the trash, and wiped it. At the bottom of the finder window though, my available disk space didn't change. Strange, I thought, but probably just a small twitch. A restart will fix things. So I finish installing Myst 4, and restart. Upon checking my hard drive, I now have 164MB of hard drive space left!! What's going on?! This is scary, as I know that now Mac OS X can't create a swap file (or whatever it's called in Unix.) Please help!! :eek:
  2. macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Are you backed up with your personal files- purchased music, song lists, calendars, docs, etc.?

Sorry I can't be of help- good luck.
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I have a 12gig if it would help... please let me know.

Mark Jozaitis
  4. macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2003
    ct usa
    try using force delete, but if that won't work, then I don't know. never seen anything like that before.
  5. macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Try using Disk First Aid, it could be a stuck segment; example:
    I'm using 2MB of memory for a program
    1KB to 2048KB
    The * are where it starts and ends - is data being used, here's what may be happening:
    The x are bad clusters or corrupt data or:
    1* *2048
    the space means no data, but its using segment 1 to 2048 of data so theres some allocation thats wrong - Disk Aid will help this.
  6. macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    if you have file vault on, tell it to recover the disk space when you restart. this sort of thing has happened to me before, i guess it doesnt really delete it until you do that :confused: