HELP!! My Inkwell is gone (handwriting recognition)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EricChunky, Oct 18, 2006.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

Hi i've just bought a wacom wireless tablet and wanted to use handwriting

however, after googling abit i realize that should be a built-in app call INkwell that allows me to do this.

I went to Application Utilities, but found nothing, spotlight failed as well...

i think i might not have installed it in the first place (im a minimalist that customzied my system config during fresh install) or i might have deleted it by mistake.

Any ideas what i can do instead of refreshing the complete system?

Thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Look in System Preferences. There should be an orange icon in the Hardware section called Ink. That's where you can set it up.

3. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

But there is NOT. I spotlite again and see there's a Ink preference, but after i clicked on it, no response.

I've also just searched the forum, someone said without a "supported" tablet this feature will be disabled!! does that mean my Wacom BT tablet is not supported? or just becuase i've installed the latest driver?:eek:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Bluetooth Graphire does support Inkwell, and the 4.9.5-1 Wacom driver should work fine with it. You may want to look in the Pen Tablet preferences pane, and check under the About button that the current driver is indeed being used.

The tablet will need to be awake, connected, blah blah, for the Ink preference to appear.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think you have to plug it in and the inkwell pane appears in syst pref.

6. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... all i need is a reboot.. dummy me....

and wat shocks me is the tablet doest not automatically reconnect upon reboot , worse, i need to re-pair it.

anyway. problem solved, but few extra questions:

1. Inkwell's hand recogn is awful (worse than my se m600i smartphone). When i tried o it gives me "zero", and there is always spaces between characters (werid) ...i've tried to read the help file but it does not really tell me how to use inkwell exactly.

In most HR system certain areas of the tablet/screen is reserved for specific functinoalities such as numbers and capitalized letters, does inkwell have similar thing?

2. Where can i find a fast little app (not photoshop) to let me take notes in the lecture (without hand recognizing)

3. Does Adobe Acrobat Readr 7 Pro allow me to scetch on the PDF lecture handouts?

Thanks.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you need to write an O by itself, try drawing it this way:
    O2.png
    Inkwell should be pretty good about using the correct character even without the curl, if the O is part of a word.

Not really. The ink window does let you turn on caps lock (double-click the up-arrow icon), and get access to the control/command/option keys.

If you have any editor that will paste in images (TextEdit or Word will work), you can click on the star icon at the bottom of the ink window to get a pad without handwriting recognition. Click send to append what you have to the document. That may be the best way for notes, so you aren't stuck working with a single canvas.

Reader? I don't think so. Acrobat Pro? Yes. There are some quirks with a tablet, for example inkwell's Write Anywhere doesn't work properly in a callout box (but writing into the ink window, then sending, does work).

[edit: about all the spaces, try playing with the sliders under the Options... button of the Inkwell preferences to slow it down a bit. ]