help, my iPod makes odd noises!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by russed, Feb 16, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

if my iPod is turned off but doesnt have the lock on (on the unit itself) if i put my ear to it closely i can hear it making a slight buzzing noise. if i ever so slightly move the iPod it then makes a louder buzzing noise. firstly does everyone elses do this and secondly could this answer why may battly life is really poor and why sometimes i can come to using it after having recharged it to find it will be drained then having the big apple logo on the screen?

if this isnt normal im taking it back and getting me a new one!

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

hmm. Is yours a new one, straight from a retailer? I have a 3G that I got in August. I'm sitting here with it and it's making no noises (duplicating your all-off scenario).

3. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

i got it as a christmas present so it is only 2 months old. the noise sounds a bit like the hard drive spinning i think but it is only really quite until you move it then it is quite a bit louder but still not loud. i hove only just noticed this tonight and now im quite worried, i love my iPOD!

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Has it always had bad battery run-time? What do you consider to be bad battery usage? My 10GB pod runs about 7-8 hours (I can't complain). Did the battery start depleting quickly about the time it started making the HD-spinning noise? If it did, I'd say something is likely wrong with the hardware. Since you got it 2 months ago, it is still covered by Apple's 1-year hardware warranty so you should get if fixed for free.

I'd say get it checked out by the pro's which stinks because you will have to be without it. I'm dealing with an iBook logic board replacement issue and it stinks being without my iPod's host. In the end it will be for the best, though. But I feel your pain of not knowing what's up.

5. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well i only just noticed it making the funny noises tonight. the battry life i have never really measured but it seems poor and definatly not the 7 - 8 hours apple says it should. i use it while walking around campus going from 1 lecture 2 another so i would say it gets about half an hour a day max and i possilby charge it once a week. i dont have backlight on and i dont skip tracks much. i never really run the battry down as i find it will be dead one morning when i come to use it. this is why i think the problem i have just found may be casuing the poor battry life!

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Try turning the alarm on and off via the clock settings. Then reset it (Hold down play and menu for 5 seconds) Make sure the alarm is off and check.

7. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

8. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well i rang up apple this morning and i am having to send it in but only after the person on the phone had to ask his supervisor for level 2 clearence for it to come it! i wonder what that is!

9. nargot macrumors regular

i thought this post sounded a bit funny so i put my "off" and unpowered ipod to my ear... it makes a pip pop, and sleeping hard drive spin sound

mine is a 3G, 20gb model

when it is plugged into the computer the pip pop sound stops and the HD spins louder (not really audible unless you put your ear next to it), so i guess it is normal as "off" mode is standby is it not?

10. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

what is the battry life on yours like? does the noise it makes when it is off get loder if you move it?

11. nargot macrumors regular

Its the next morning for me and the ipod is now fully charged. Now its silent (that could be due to the traffic noise masking the drive sound), I can get 7-8 hours from my pod if it is fully charged and fresh off the power, before i use it. Backlight chews juice, i've only used it a couple of times when i was in a dark area and bored. I probably get the most use out an ipod compared to the average person. Mine is used at least 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

I'll keep an ear on the noises it makes and make a note of them for you. If yours is still under warranty (mine has default 3 years -- education) get it checked if you are worried, if it wont cost a cent. I've already had one replacement due to bad sectors in the drive.