Help: My Mac won't let me move or add files onto my hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by at.espiritu, Apr 14, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I've got an iMac and a apple notebook and for either one, it won't let me add or move files onto it. It can let me take files out of it though. What's weird is it used to be able to but this just happened a couple of days ago, when I go to drag files onto it, it comes up with a circle with a slash sign.

Is there any way I can fix this problem without having to reboot my hard drive and erase everything? I might of just accidentally changed a setting but not that I know of.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > GET INFO >> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

Or are you talking about an external HDD?
    If so, check the Format.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

It's NTFS. Does that mean it only works with Windows? Because before it used to work with my mac.

4. simsaladimbamba

Read the FAQ I posted, as it explains how to WRITE to NTFS formatted volumes.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

If I install that NTFS-3G for Mac OS X, will it erase my files? Sorry I'm really conscious of losing everything.

6. simsaladimbamba

Installing NTFS-3G will NOT (WON'T) erase your files.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

8. macrumors newbie

I followed this advice, now my Mac can't see the external drive at all

I've had this same problem, so I found this thread.

My Mac used to be able to both read AND write to my external hard drive with no problem, then it suddenly stopped being able to write to it.

I checked, and my external drive is Windows. So I followed the advice here and installed that software. Now my Mac can't even see the hard drive.

How do I fix this? If I uninstall this software, will it be able to at least see the hard drive again?

My internal hard drive is almost full. When I discovered I couldn't write to the external, I also found I could not copy files manually to a server either. I thought maybe the full internal drive might be the cause of the problem, but I can't seem to find any confirmation online.