HELP!!! My MacBook can't see my battery!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lmalave, Oct 26, 2006.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

See attached pic. So either my battery died, or my MacBook for some reason isn't drawing power from the battery anymore. I'm hoping it's just the battery, which can be easily replaced.

I already tried taking out my battery and putting it back in a couple of times. Has anybody else seen this issue? Anyway, I'm taking it to the Genius Bar tomorrow, and hopefully it'll just be a matter of getting a new battery...

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How incredibly uncool. Try resetting your PMU, if only so you can tell the technicians that you've already tried that. :)

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Are you sure that you know how to put a battery back in, e.g. have you done it before?

4. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

It didn't work - but thanks for the tip!! It's one less thing for the Geniuses to ask about or try, so hopefully it will expedite the process...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's the idea. I didn't think it'd help but it's one less excuse for them to turn you away. Good luck with them. :)

6. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yes. I don't take the battery out very often, but I have a few times. When I upgraded the RAM when I first bought my computer, for example.

I'm thinking more and more that it's just the battery. When I press the button on the battery to check the power, I don't get a single LED. But I don't think the battery could possibly have run out of power - it was in sleep mode for 2 days but definitely had juice left...

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup turning the battery in with apple would be good....don't want a lemon battery on your hands:eek:

Bless

8. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Oh yeah, and can I mention that the combination of dead battery and ez-disconnect MagSafe power connector is just **AWESOME** :mad:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I had that message once, and it was because i started to put my computer to sleep (closed the lid) and immediately re-opened it.

unplugging and plugging in the power cord worked...sadly, sounds like your issue is more exreme.:(

11. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Check out the MB support page on Apple's support site to see if its a recall. If not then call Apple and tell them that you have a defective battery (they'll run you through resetting your PRAM/PMU before they declare it defective... I always do it first, just to tell them I've done this or that...) My MBP battery did the same thing and it was one that was on the recall list. What was sad about it, is that that battery was a replacement for a previous defective battery...

Hope this helps... :)

Avenger23

12. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I had this same problem with mine, it started not recognizing the battery right before i sent it in for rss.
    i've had it back a couple days now and everything seems to be fine so far....

13. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

I went to the Genius Bar and got my battery replaced. All is well now...

14. petteri macrumors member

Glad to hear that it's fixed. My wife's MacBook had the same icon (no battery) problem. The power cord had gotten nicked (my dog perhaps...) and had shorted out. When the power cord was pulled the battery reappeared. Of course a new cord was needed....