Help! My Password Changed On Me!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Over Achiever, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't understand what happened, I used my laptop normally last night, drained the battery (brand new, I was calibrating it for the 3rd time) and the laptop shut off. I closed the laptop lid, and plugged it in.

This morning I open my laptop, and since I have it set to lock the laptop when I go to sleep, the screen appears. No matter how many times I put in my password, it wouldn't accept it. Then I put in the username/password for the second account on my laptop (the account I'm on now) and it logged into my original account! Odd ... but as long as I was in ...

So now I log into my second account to work a little. The username/pass worked just fine ... but now I can't switch back to my main account. I can't even shut the computer down or restart it since it asks for the admin's user/pass, which happens to be my main account.

So, what am I to do now? I'm at a loss, and I don't understand why my pass won't be accepted anymore. Have I been hacked overnight?

-OA

2. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Never mind, since my second account also had admin privileges I could force restart my computer. I tried logging back into my account (maybe restart fixes something) but didn't work. So I reset my password using my Tiger install DVD and I'm back on my main account now.

However, I'm still very bothered by my password change ... what might have happened?

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Answer

You had caps lock, number lock and/or you were typing in your password and/or user name wrong, period.

4. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Sorry buddy, but my name was right, I checked it, used both the user name and the display name. I couldn't log in via the menu when I was in my other account, that definitely means it wasn't the name.

Numbers lock was definitely not on, neither was caps lock. I logged into my other account just fine remember? I did check it as well.

There was definitely something else wrong, and it wasn't the user. Trust me, I've had this computer for over two years, I'd know my username and pass.

5. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

sounds like it could of been a permissions error... something probably got jumbled up in the keychain file. I would go into Disk Utility and repair your permissions now, to possibly keep the problem from happening again.

6. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Tell me your username, password and address...and I'll... ah.. sort the problem out for you ;) :D

Maybe call apple... Although they will start off with "Is your computer on?", unless that's just PC helpdesks.. :p

7. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Haha :p Seriously tho', gave my a scare. Then I remembered how easy it was reset my password, and that also gave me a scare =/

I did fix my permissions ... some permissions in my User folder had to be fixed, so I wonder if that might be the root of my problem. Still, I wonder.