Help! My PB is starting to have problems!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by whiteangel, Sep 23, 2004.

1. whiteangel macrumors regular

Today after purchasing proteus I started having all sorts of problems. safari, mail, address book will crash. and when i run onyx it will crash on startup and on the 2nd time it will run but the maintenance script take ages and never moves and it says that the application is not responding so i force quit it. i try to restart hoping everything will go away, but then the screen stopped at a white screen so i restart again and this time a terminal comes up telling me some error accessing the memory and ask me to type mac-boot to boot or shut-down.

this is a 2 week old powerbook. what is wrong?? I though OS X should have less problems than XP? :( this is what i keep telling my bf, now when i keep restarting i'm afraid he'd notice and ask me why is my mac giving me problems too.

can anyone enlighten me??

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Could easily be a hardware problem, such as bad RAM, but before you do anything else reboot in single user mode and run fsck as your hard restarts could easily have caused directory damage. Remove any external devices and also AirPort cards and user-accessible RAM (if installed). If that doesn't help, boot into the hardware test CD and run the long diagnostic.

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Do the norm...FSCK, Reset PRAM, Repair permissions...then tell us how it went..

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Have you installed any additional memory? The Powerbooks are notorious for being very fussy about the memory that they take. I had to send two different types of memory back, before I canceled my order with a local supplier and purchased from crucial instead. If you have got additional memory take it out and try running the Powerbook for a while to see if you get the same problems.

5. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

solved!

yes it was bad ram. and it even caused me not to be able to run hardware test or install panther till i removed it.

my journey with Mac has been pretty eventful. I got an ibook at first, but the 1-0 keys won't work after sometime, so i took it back to microanvika (uk). my choices were either to repair it or get a replacement but they didn't have any ibooks in stock, so i upgraded to a powerbook and paid the difference. 2 weeks after that the powerbook was going crazy. i was so sad as i thought that Mac was rock solid. I managed to find out it was the ram and so i took it back to microanvika where i bought the ram from, they exchanged one for me. Gave me a kingston ram and installed it for me. And I noticed that the guy serving was a student and I noticed early that day online that they had job vacancies. So now I'm waiting for my induction to work at microanvika in selfridges. :D Good way to make up the difference i had to come up with for the powerbook.

thank you everyone for your help! I'm sorry i didn't reply earlier :eek:

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Great that you got it fixed and got a job at the same time.