Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
ok, so i moved to a new house, and i have a 17' old school PB
it plugs in, and charges, but at least a few times a day, it just shuts off. like its getting no electricity. so the battery wears down. now, to make it charge again, all i have to do is unplus it from the wall, and plug it back in.
What is going on? why is it doing this,
PLEASE HELP
thanks everyone
Andreas

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Are you in an area that is suseptible to power flucuation?

Your profile doesn't mention where you are located, but I was wondering if its possible that 'dirty' power sources are causing your problems. I'm not sure what type of protection the powerbooks have built in against voltage shifts, but it might be possible that the machine is shutting down charging to protect itself from high or low voltage spikes.

The question then is, if you take it somewhere else does it charge correctly? (How far did you move?) If you know someone at a home audio shop you might be able to test it plugged into a power conditioner to see if that resolves the problem. Otherwise I would think you best be heading to your local Apple reseller.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I moved like 3 blocks down the road. i havent tried it in other places yet becuase it happens not at regular intervals. it can work fine for 8 hours, then just go off.
so annoying.
All the plugs in my room do the same thing. the weird thing is, i have lots of other things plugged into these outlets. yet no problems.
Andreas

Edit: I live in Worcester Mass.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Power adaptor . . . .

Can you get ahold of a different power adaptor? It might help you pin point the location of the problem.

If it worked then . . . must be the power adaptor.

If not . . . either the Pbook or the power source.

I'm assuming your off of warranty . . . right?

Also, does this problem seem to occur at a specific time of day? That might suggest a power source problem as well.

Edit: yippee, with this post I have graduated to *member* status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.