help my powerbook is acting up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jul 31, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Help my poorbook stays on for about 15 minutes then shuts down.whats wrong then it keeps saying the time is off and will make applications act up

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Sounds like you have a bad power management unit (PMU). If the Powerbook is still under warranty, take it into an Apple Store/Repair shop. If not, try resetting the PMU yourself.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sounds like your battery is close to dead. Do you have a TiBook or AluBook? I know the G3 PB and the TiBook there is an internal clock battery which if it dies loses time and can cause other problems like erratic performance. It could also be your main computer battery not holding a charge.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Sounds pretty bad. The time going back to a previous date (probably like 20 years ago eh?) usually means that the backup battery feeding power to the CMOS or BIOS chip.

Can you tell us more about the Powerbook, like what model and if it is plugged in and stuff.

5. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

its an g4 rev c.im new to macs so i cant really be specific.Im testing it again.