HELP!! My Powermac G4 is DEAD!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ReanimationLP, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

:eek: When I turned on my Powermac G4 earlier, I expected it to spring to life. Instead, all I got was 3 beeps. No video, the drives spin up, etc. But it doesnt do anything, none of the chips get hot at all. x.x I think I'm gonna cry... :'(

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Try resetting the PMU... it's a little button the size of a cookie crumb located on your motherboard.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

> Try resetting the PMU

Also known as the Cuda chip. It's a round button about 2mm diameter on a square swith about 5mm square, it'll be soldered onto your motherboard. Press this for 5 seconds -- only do this but once, however.

If that doesn't help you may be in line for a new PRAM battery - 1/2 AA 3.6 V Lithium, available at better stocked Radio Shacks and electronic stores, about $8.00. Plan on a new one every 3 - 6 years depending on the Mac model and how much time you leave it turned off.

Three beeps means a problem with RAM, or the motherboard. Try removing all but your original Apple RAM, and put that RAM into a different socket, and boot again.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95052

Thanks
    Trevor

4. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thank you for the help. Its not beeping anymore, but it wont send the video signals too. I've tried all the PCI slots. x.x

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hold Command+Option+P+R while starting up. This time, after 3 chimes, let go. The chimes are good. :)

This will zap your PRAM and, in theory, display at correct levels for your monitor so that you can see stuff again. Then you change it later.

6. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Tried that. Didnt do anything. Thing only chimes once x.x

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Keep holding command + option + P + R, it will give you the "startup" chime, but keep holding that key combination through three cycles of the chime. It takes a while.

8. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thanks everyone ^-^ Its back up and running, had to hold down the keys for a REALLY LONG TIME. Never chimed, but all of a sudden it gave me video.

9. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

YAY... glad to hear that. I had that happen to me about 2 years ago. very scary for us who have no idea whats going on. Good thing for places like this!

10. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah. Thank god for Macrumors. I have been using a mac for about 2 years now, but this is the first time I've ever had a hardware problem like that.

11. Heilige macrumors newbie

Heilige

I have the same problem with my powermac g4 yikes as well and resetting the pram doesn't give me a picture.. I upgraded the rage 128 to a radeon 7000 32mb card and... no picture on either of my monitors.. I also pressed the button on the motherboard and removed the battery same problem continues :-(

Does the video card have to be a mac version? My brother in-law said no since he installed radeon 7500s in quicksilvers

12. Logik macrumors 6502a

yes... they have to be mac cards. they don't contain the same bios code.

13. Heilige macrumors newbie

Heilige

:eek: Uh oh, now I put the original card back in and I have lines going down the screen! :(