Help my superdrive is going CRAZY

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zpictures, Jun 26, 2005.

1. zpictures macrumors newbie

May 25, 2005
    Ok so I burned this CD this morning, everything looks fine until it comes out. I turn it over and find these like grooves etched into the CD, it looks almost like someone scraped the CD in a circular pattern with a butter knife. So i put the CD in my computer to check if its all good. iTunes pulls it up with no problem and reads the first 4 tracks, but when it hits track 5 I got the beach ball of death. Then all of a sudden a huge screeching noise comes from my superdrive. I got the CD out and there are even more grooves on the CD. Anyone got any ideA? Should i plan on replacing it?! Do superdrives wear out?
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Get a can of compressed air and shoot some in the super drive when it's opened. Then try another *NON VALUABLE* CD. If scratches still exist, good luck, you could try a CD cleaning disk or something. You might need a new drive. Let an apple store look at it if you live near one before you try anything.
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Time for servicing. Or this would be a good time to upgrade the Superdrive to a faster model, if your warranty or AppleCare is over.