HELP! My TimeMachine backup will not restore!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dmk1974, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Sep 16, 2008
    I use an external drive to backup using TimeMachine on 4 Macs in my house. I connect it to each one every week or so and on the drive I can see 4 backed up machines listed.

Yesterday, I bought my wife a 2012 MBA to replace her 2011 MBA. When I went to connect it to restore, her computer does not show up in the list! I tried via booting into the Restore partition and the other 3 show but not hers. I tried via Migration Assistant and the same thing. When I go to Finder, I see all 4 listed and her files are definitely there along with the history.

I grabbed another blank USB hard drive I had and ran a fresh TM backup from her 2011. When I tried those methods I stated above on both the new 2012 MBA AND her existing 2011 MBA that I just backed up from, the TM backup still doesn't show up at all (except for in Finder).

I have never had this, or any, issue with TM in the past. Any ideas as to why I am having an issue now and only with her computer's backup? Thanks!
  2. macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    You didn't happen to have the box checked to encrypt the Time machine backups? Read my post here.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 16, 2008
    I just got home and double checked. No, the disk is not encrypted. It's just strange that the other 4 backed up Macs show just fine, but this one for some reason does not when restoring anymore.