Help - Need a cheap printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -hh, Jan 30, 2007.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

Jul 17, 2001
    NJ Highlands, Earth
    Where oh where have all the cheap printers gone?

The project is my Mother-in-Law's home computer. The good news is that her Windows ME machine is going bye-bye and we're replacing it with an eMac. All she uses it for is dialup email.

Thought I had it with a $40 Epson CX3800, but while Epson's support pages claims to have a OS X print driver, it doesn't have the CX3800 listed, so it doesn't work. That printer's going to have to be returned to CompUSA this weekend.

Checking Apple's website, the cheapest printer they have is $80.

So I'm looking for the Mac-compatible Über cheap inkjet whose sole purpose in life will be to print 5-10 emails per month. It doesn't even have to print color.

2. Soulman macrumors member

Dec 16, 2006

How about this one from Canon, PIXMA iP1600 Photo Printer.
  3. scotpole macrumors member

Apr 4, 2006

Try going to They will have lists of manufactures and vendors. Often times you can find discontinued models.

Also check ebay. People are always trying to unload pewters and printers.

If you have a Sam's club or a Wal Mart nearby, stroll into their electronics department. They often have stuff on the cheap.
  4. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    For your purposes, just go to Wal-Mart and get a cheap Lexmark or HP. Both companies generally support OS X, and while their all-in-one drivers suck, the deticated print drivers usally get the job done with little problem. I'm also surprised that Epson doesn't have the drivers, I thought they used to be good with Mac drivers.
  5. dead phish head macrumors member

Aug 3, 2006
    I just bought a Canon Pixma iP1700 from Best Buy for $50 this weekend and it works great.
  6. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    look on fatwallet or slickdeals for the latest sunday ads. i'd recommend going with the cheapest decent laser printer you can find... cheaper in the long run.