Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big_Baby_D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, I know the powerbook vs. ibook has been beaten to death, but I am looking at buying a new laptop. I have never used mac before, but my friend keeps urging me to switch. I am a youth pastor, which means I do a little bit of everything. I will be doing some photoshop work, some web design, some video editing, some database, some print media, and so on. I would also use it for presentations during my lessons. I would like to run video with those presentations, but could always just burn it and use a dvd player. I would not need it for gaming because I don't do much of that. I thought I liked the powerbook, but not I'm not too sure now, but I like the 14" ibook, especially the price. I don't know. I could just go back to Windows, but I don't really want to. I know that I will wait until MWSF to see what happens, but I wanted to get some help. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the downfall of the 14" iBook is that it has the same resolution as the 12" 'books, but it does let you get a superdrive at a lower cost than the 12" powerbook. It really all depends on how heavy the work is that you are going to throw at it. if its light minimal stuff than the iBook wont be a problem, for more intensive stuff i would look at an iMac or something a bit more powerful, even though you did say that you want a laptop. at this point, unless something happens to the 'books at MWSF i would say stick to the iBooks because they are a better value right now

Big_Baby_D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I have looked at the imacs, but I need to be mobile so I can use it during my lessons.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Sounds like you'd be fine with the iBook. Why are you leaning towards the PB? The aluminum look, screen size, keyboard? Just wondering, since an iBook will be more than fine for you. Upgrade the RAM and you'll be happy, I'd think (upgrade it yourself, though, so you don't pay Apple's exorbitant prices).

Welcome to Macrumors, BTW ... in the future, you may want to title your thread with something a little more descriptive than "Help." People WILL see and WILL respond to thread. No matter how often there's a PB / iBook debate, there are always people willing to throw in their $0.02.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
dotnina said:
Sounds like you'd be fine with the iBook. Why are you leaning towards the PB? The aluminum look, screen size, keyboard? Just wondering, since an iBook will be more than fine for you. Upgrade the RAM and you'll be happy, I'd think (upgrade it yourself, though, so you don't pay Apple's exorbitant prices).

Welcome to Macrumors, BTW ... in the future, you may want to title your thread with something a little more descriptive than "Help." People WILL see and WILL respond to thread. No matter how often there's a PB / iBook debate, there are always people willing to throw in their $0.02.
For me its that 15 inch screen and that nice resolution ::drooling::

Big_Baby_D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I think I have been looking at the powerbook because I watched too much Tool Time growing up, and I always want "more power!" I do like the screen on the powerbook, but I don't like the idea that the case can dent and bend. I also wish the resolution on the ibook was better.

Thanks for your advice and welcome. Next time I will try to be clearer on my next post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.